Networking > Dial-Up >
MacOS X Dial-Up Configuration (Summary)
Note:If you would like connection guides with screenshots, they are available on the detailed connection guide page.
If you will using your Mac laptop with different types of
networking from different locations (e.g. a wired connection in your
residence hall room and wireless out on the steps), you will probably
want to learn to set up and use the Mac's Location Manager.
Start by choosing Mac Help from the Finder's Help menu,
search for location manager, and read about adding a network
Set Up Your Connection
In System Preferences -> Network select Internal
Modem from the Show: drop-down menu.
With the TCP/IP tab selected...
With the PPP tab selected...
- Select Using PPP from the Configure: drop-down
- Enter columbia.edu and
cc.columbia.edu in the Search Domains box.
With the Modem tab selected...
- Fill in Columbia University as your service provider.
- Type your UNI in the Account Name box. Don't include
- Enter 1-212-854-3100 for the main telephone number. You can
use 1-212-854-2477, the Express Modem Pool (25-minute limit) as the
- Click the PPP Options button. CUIT suggests that
you have your Mac connect automatically when you start a TCP/IP
application (such as Netscape). Under Advanced Options, check the
first two boxes and leave the last two unchecked.
Click Apply Now and then quit System Preferences.
- Choose your modem from the Modem: drop-down menu.
- Click to enable error correction and compression, and to wait for
a dial tone beofre dialing.
- Set tone or pulse dial, according to your phone service, and turn
sound on or off, according to your preference.
- Set the country to the Unitd States, and click to display the
modem status in the menu bar.
Connect to Columbia
Open Applications -> Internet Connect and click