THE RARE BOOK AND
MANUSCRIPT LIBRARY
OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY

Treasures


45 King's College
Minute Book
Manuscript, 1 volume, January 13, 1752-May 5, 1756
By an act of the provincial assembly in 1751, ten trustees were appointed to establish a college by investing the proceeds of a lottery and to find a location for the proposed school; the school thus formed was King's College, a name that was to be changed in 1784 to Columbia. The minutes of those trustees, written in two secretarial hands, record not only the financial affairs, but also the religious and political controversy that arose over the degree of influence that the Church of England would have in the new school. The minute book entries end six months before the final settlement of the controversy and the transfer of the trustees' funds and authority to the forty-two member "board of governors" that administered King's College under the first charter. Entries include a copy of the letter, dated January 7, 1754, to Dr. Samuel Johnson, asking him to accept the position of "chief Master or head of our Seminary."
Various funds

Collections and Treasures