Currently Have a .org or .com Instead of Columbia.edu?
We appreciate that various parts of the University may have found it simpler to develop websites outside the Columbia.edu domain, but important reasons to reconsider this approach range from web security to the critical fact that such sites cannot even be found by those searching on the University’s website. The Office of Communications and Public Affairs and CUIT would be glad to work with you on migrating such sites back within Columbia.edu.
In the banner:
- Include the official University homepage hyperlink in the left-hand corner of the rooftop or banner of every webpage (see sample templates). Rooftop text should appear in Arial or a similar font, white (#ffffff) and be 0.7em/8pt/11px in size.
- Use hex value #174785 (blue), #000000 (black), or #666666 (gray) for the background color in the rooftop.
- Include a search box in the upper right-hand corner of every webpage.
In the footer:
- Include the University name along with a copyright symbol that links to the copyright statement.
- Include a link to the University disability access statement.
- Do not link to email@example.com.
- List your office address and main telephone number.
- Webpages should be scalable; barring that capability, the width of each page should be a minimum of 950 pixels.
- Test your website on different monitors, operating systems and browsers to ensure consistent rendering across platforms.
- Consult CUIT and the Office of Disability Services regarding accessibility issues.
University Colors and the University Identity
Columbia Blue is #c4d8e2. Complimentary official University colors are: #002b7f, #75aadb and #0038a8. Other complimentary color palettes are also available.
- The official University web logo is movable and scalable; however, do not change the aspect ratio or color of the image. For an electronic copy of the official University logo, contact Junie Lee in University Publications (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The University identity can be reproduced in black (#000000), white (#ffffff), gray (#999999) and the following blues: #c4d8e2, #002b7f, #75aadb, #A8cee2 and #0038a8.
- Do not use the crown without the accompanying name of the University.
- Do not use the University seal or shield as a stand-in for the crown logo or to represent the University as a whole. The seal is for official use only by the trustees.
- Do not combine multiple logos or visual marks. For example, do not use the official University identity on top of or next to the logo for a school or research center.
For additional advice on designing your website, contact Deistl Ross at email@example.com.