|How to find what you need
Welcome to the Department of Biological Sciences at Columbia!
The Department welcomes all undergraduates interested in biological sciences. Whether you plan a career in basic research, medicine, public health or the biotech world – or whether you have completely separate career interests but wish to learn what all the excitement in the life sciences is about – we are interested in helping you to learn what we know.
Our undergraduate web page tries to answer most of the commonly asked questions. There are links to frequently asked questions (FAQs) for
•If you are thinking of eventually enrolling in any of our majors or concentrations, first read our WebPages carefully, and then feel free to consult an advisor. You don't have to be sure of your choice or wait until official major declaration time to consult an advisor. Go to the majors page for information on major requirements, how to declare a major, qualifying for honors, etc.
• If you are interested in doing research, click on the "Undergraduate Research" link on the left of this page.
• If you are interested in taking our courses for the science requirement, concerned about AP credit or what bio course you should start with, see FAQ for first year students.
• If you are interested in any of our courses, check out our list of course offerings. The list includes all courses normally offered in the department (although some are not offered every year). The list also includes links to individual web pages (including syllabi) for almost all bio courses. Related courses in other departments are listed at the bottom of the page. To find out which courses we plan to offer in any particular semester, check out the links at the top of the page.
• If you are planning to go to medical school or law school, please be sure you see your class dean of students or your house dean as soon as possible, to make sure your academic program meets the expectations of your chosen profession. We are not the experts in the pre-med or pre-law business. Also, you might want to check out the "Your Future" link on the left of this page.
• If these links and the questions and answers do not cover your concerns, check with Jaya Santosh in room 600 of the Fairchild Life Sciences building (600 FLS), or send an email to one of the Department’s undergraduate advisors.
• If you are looking for extracurricular activities, click on the "Extracurricular" link on the left of this page.
• For an index of all department web pages for undergraduates, go to overview.
• Recent updates in Biology Courses for 2015-2016 academic year.