|Biochemistry Major - Requirements
A grade of C- or better must be earned and revealed on your transcript for any course -- including the first semester -- to be counted towards the major or concentration requirements. The grade of P is not acceptable, but a course that was taken P/D/F may be counted if and only if the P is uncovered by the Registrar's deadline.
Any exceptions must be approved in advance by an Advisor and you must receive an email notification of that approval.
Students may substitute Barnard College courses only with prior permission from an Advisor.
I. Required Biology Courses
Both terms of the introductory biology sequence:
C2005 - Introductory Biology I: Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology
C2006 - Introductory Biology II: Cell Biology, Developmental & Physiology
Both of these Biology-Chemistry courses:
C3501 - Biochemistry (BIOC W3300 does not fufill this requirement)
C3512 - Molecular biology
II. Required Chemistry Courses
One of these three sequences of courses:
- C1403 - C1404 or W1403-W1404 General chemistry and C3443-C3444 or W3443-W3444 Organic chemistry I and II
- C1604 - Second Semester General Chemistry (Intensive) and C3443-C3444 or W3443-W3444 Organic chemistry I and II
- C3045 - C3046 Intensive organic chemistry for first-year students
- The following physical chemistry courses:
- C3079- C3080 - Physical chemistry I and II
W4082 - Theoretical Foundations and Applications of Biophysical Methods may be substituted for 1 term of PChem.
III. Required Laboratory Courses
- One general chemistry lab:
- W1500 - General chemistry laboratory or W2507 - Intensive general chemistry laboratory
- One organic chemistry lab:
- C3543 or W3543 or C3545 or W3545- Organic chemistry laboratory
- One of these upper-level biology labs:
W3050 - Project lab in Protein Biochemistry (not offered)
W3058 - Project laboratory in microbiology
C3052 - Project lab in Molecular Genetics
W3500- Independent research in biology
- At least one of these upper-level chemistry or biology labs:
- Chemistry W3546 - Advanced organic chemistry lab
- Chemistry C3085 or C3086 - Physical and analytical chemistry lab
- Chemistry C3098 - Senior chemistry lab, taken for at least 4 points (one term may be counted)
- Biology W3500 - Independent research in biology (one term for 4 pts)**
- An advanced Bio lab (W3050 or C3052). The same biology lab cannot be used to fulfill both requirements 3 & 4 -- you must take two different ones to fulfill both requirements.
- W2501 - Contemporary biology laboratory plus one of the following
W3040 - Lab in Developmental Biology or
A 3 pt. Barnard lab course.
**It is OK to take only one term of W3500 or C3098, but you usually learn much more if you work in the same lab for a more extended period. If you intend to do lab research, we recommend two terms of independent research (4 pts each) or one term + a summer of research in the same laboratory. (Even if only one term is applied toward the major.) SURF may be used in lieu of the lab requirement only if combined with one semester of W3500; summer lab work under other auspices may not be substituted for SURF. Paid laboratory work may not be substituted for any of these requirement.
Note: Students who satisfactorily complete any of the following combination
are considered to have completed all their upper-level lab requirements
(3 & 4 above)-
- Two semesters of W3500 for 8 credits total in the same lab.
- One semester of W3500 for a minimum of 3 credits plus Surf in the same lab.
- One semester of W3500 for a minimum of 4 credits plus one Project lab.
- One Project lab plus Surf.
- Two Project labs.
IV. Required Physics and Math Courses
Two terms of Physics are required
- Physics V1201 - V1202 General Physics fulfills the requirement.
The 1400 sequence is recommended if you plan to take 3 terms of physics.
(Higher numbered sequences are fine if you have the background)
- 2 Semesters of Calculus or Honors Math. If you have AP credit and complete one term of advanced Calculus at Columbia (Calculus II or higher), this requirement is fulfilled.
V. Additional Course Requirements (Any three of these)
- Math courses:
- ODE (Ordinary differential equations) or One additional term of Calculus or Honors Math beyond that used to fulfill the previous Math requirement (IV-2). If you have AP credit, you must take at least two terms of Math at Columbia to meet this requirement. A single calculus course, no matter how advanced, does not fulfill both requirements IV-2 and V-1.
- Chemistry courses:
- C3071 Introduction to inorganic chemistry (strongly recommended)
- G4147 Advanced organic chemistry
- G4172 Bio-organic topics
- Biology courses: Any Biology lecture course at the 3000/4000 level for 3 or more points. The following are recommended:
- W3004 Neurobiology I: Cellular & Molecular Neurobiology or
W3005 Neurobiology II: Development & Systems
C3032 or W3031Genetics
C3799 Readings Molecular Biology of Cancer
W3022 Developmental Biology
W3041 Cell Biology
W3073 Cellular and Molecular Immunology
W3193 Stem Cell Biol & Applications
- W3310 Virology
- W3560 - Evolutionary Biology in the Genomic Era
W3990 Readings in Cell Biology
W4008 The Cellular Physiology of disease
W4011 Neural Syst: Circuits in the Brain
W4077 Survey in Molecular and Cellular Biology
- W4082 - Theoretical Foundations and Applications of Biophysical Methods
W4300 Drugs and Disease
W4400 Biological Networks
- W4510(CHBC) - Genomics of Gene
- W4560 - Evolutionary Biology in the Genomic Era
G4008 Advanced Seminar in Neurobiology
- G4035 - Seminar in Epigenetics
G4044 Advanced Topics in Cell Biology
G4095 Chemical Genomics
G4600 Signal Transduction
Every effort is made to keep this list up to date. However, last min. changes do occur. See recent changes for new course updates.
Note: SCNC & HPSC courses do not count towards the Major even if listed under Biology courses on Bio web site. BIOT courses will not be counted towards the Major.
VI. Recommended Seminar Courses (not required)
- Biology C2908 - First-year seminar in modern biology - For first year students only
- Chemistry C2408
For transfer students, at least 4 biology or biochemistry courses and
at least 18 credits of the total (biology, biochemistry, math, physics
and chemistry) must be taken at Columbia. Barnard courses may not be
substituted for the required Columbia courses without advance permission from the advisor.