|GS Biochemistry Major - Requirements
A grade of C- or better must be earned and revealed on your transcript
for any course -- including the first semester -- to be counted towards
the major or concentration requirements. The grade of P is not
acceptable, but a course that was taken P/D/F may be counted if and
only if the P is uncovered by the Registrar's deadline.
Any exceptions must be approved in advance by an Advisor and you must receive an email notification of that approval.
Students may substitute Barnard College courses only with prior permission from an Advisor.
I. Required Biology & Biochemistry Courses
Both semesters of the introductory biology course:
C2005 - Introductory Biology I: Biochemistry, Genetics & Molecular Biology
C2006- Introductory Biology II: Cell Biology, Development & Physiology
Two Semesters of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Biochem G4021 or Biology-Chemistry C3501 - Biochemistry, AND
- Biochem G4026 - Nucleic Acids & Protein Synthesis or Biol-Chem C3512 - Molecular Biology
II. Required Chemistry Courses
- One Year each of General Chemistry & Organic Chemistry:
- F1403 or C1403 or W1403- F1404 or C1404 or W1404 General chemistry and F3443 or C3443 or W3443 - F3444 or C3444 or W3444 Organic chemistry I and II.
The Columbia College equivalents may be taken instead with the permission of the chemistry advisor.
2. The following physical chemistry courses (two semesters):
- C3079 - C3080 - Physical chemistry I and II
III. Required Laboratory Courses
- One general chemistry lab:
- F1500 or W1500- General chemistry laboratory or W2507 - Intensive general chemistry lab
2. One organic chemistry lab:
- F3543 or C3543 or W3543- Organic chemistry laboratory or C3545 or W3545- Organic chemistry lab
3. One of these upper-level biology labs:
W3050 - Project laboratory in protein biochemistry (highly recommended!)
W3058 - Project laboratory in microbiology
C3052 - Project laboratory in molecular genetics
W3500 - Independent Research Project, taken for at least 4 points**-- Formerly known as C3500 & F3403
4. At least one of these upper-level chemistry or biology labs:
- Chemistry W3546 - Advanced organic chemistry lab
- Chemistry C3085 or C3086 - Physical and analytical chemistry lab
- Chemistry F3098 or C3098- Senior chemistry lab, taken for at least 4 points
- Biology W3500 - Independent Research Project, taken for at least 4 points**
- An advanced Bio lab (W3050 or C3052). The same biology lab cannot be used to fulfill
both requirements 3 & 4 -- you must take two different ones to
fulfill both requirements.
**You can take only one term of W3500, but you usually learn much more if you work in the same lab for a more extended period. If you plan to do lab research, we recommend two terms of W3500 (4 pts each) or one term + a summer of research in the same laboratory. (Even if only one term is applied toward the major.) SURF may be used in lieu of the lab requirement only if combined with one semester of W3500; summer lab work under other auspices may not be substituted for SURF. Paid laboratory work may not be substituted for any of these requirements.
Note: Students who satisfactorily complete any of the following combination
are considered to have completed all their upper-level lab requirements
(3 & 4 above)-
- Two semesters of W3500 for 8 credits total in the same lab.
- One semester of W3500 for a minimum of 3 credits plus Surf in the same lab.
- One semester of W3500 for a minimum of 4 credits plus one Project lab.
- One Project lab plus Surf.
- Two Project labs.
IV. Required Physics and Math Courses
Two terms of Physics are required
- Physics V1201 - V1202 General Physics fulfills the requirement.
The 1400 sequence is recommended if you plan to take 3 terms of physics.
(Higher numbered sequences are fine if you have the background)
- 2 Semesters of Calculus or Honors Math. If you have AP credit and complete one term of advanced Calculus at
Columbia (Calculus II or higher), this requirement is fulfilled.
V. Additional Course Requirements: Any three of these:
- Math courses:
- ODE (Ordinary differential Equation) or One additional term of Calculus or Honors Math beyond that used to fulfill the previous Math requirement (IV-2).
- Chemistry courses:
- C3071 Introduction to inorganic chemistry (strongly recommended)
- G4147 Advanced organic chemistry
- G4172 Bio-organic topics
- Biology courses: Any Biology lecture course at the 3000/4000 level for 3 or more points.
The following are recommended:
W3002 Intro to Animal Structure and Function
W3004 Neurobiology I: Cellular & Molecular Neurobiology or
W3005 Neurobiology II: Development & Systems
C3032 or W3031Genetics
C3799 Readings Molecular Biology of Cancer
W3022 Developmental Biology
W3041 Cell Biology
W3073 Cellular and Molecular Immunology
W3190 Stem Cells: Biology, Ethics and Applications
W3208 Intro to Evolutionary Biology
W3990 Readings in Cell Biology
W4008 The Cellular Physiology of disease
W4011 Neural Syst: Circuits in the Brain
W4077 Survey in Molecular and Cellular Biology
W4300 Drugs and Disease
W4400 Biological Networks
W4510(CHBC) Molecular Systems Biology I
G4008 Advanced Seminar in Neurobiology
G4044 Advanced Topics in Cell Biology
G4095 Chemical Genomics
G4600 Signal Transduction
G6002(sec 2) Protein Thermodynamics (counts as 1/2 course)
Every effort is made to keep this list up to date. However, last min. changes do occur. See recent changes for new course updates.
Note: SCNC & HPSC courses do not count towards the Major even if listed under Biology courses on Bio web site.
BIOT courses will not be counted towards your Major.
VI. Recommended Seminar Courses (not required)
- Biology C2908 First-year seminar in modern biology - For first year students only
- Chemistry C2408 First-year seminar
For transfer students, at least 4 biology or biochemistry courses and
at least 18 credits of the total (biology, biochemistry, math, physics
and chemistry) must be taken at Columbia. Barnard courses may not be
substituted for the required Columbia courses without advance permission from the advisor.