Frequently Asked Questions
1) How do I apply?
The application will become available online beginning January 3rd, 2018. However, you can only begin applying on January 1st. Once you submit the application, you will receive a login ID and password that will allow you to verify that your recommendations have been submitted. We do not accept paper applications. Freshman should wait to apply until they have all or most of their Fall grades.
2) Are letters of recommendation required?
Yes. We require two letters of recommendation to be submitted through the application website. Please provide the email addresses for two recommendation-writers in your application. Once you submit the application, an email will automatically be sent to each person providing further instructions. Do not send recommendation letters through the mail; We only accept letters in electronic format. Both letters must be received by February 1st, 2018 at 5pm. Be sure speak to the people writing your recommendations far enough in advance(at least 2 weeks) so they will have ample time to submit your recommendation by February 1st.
3) Should I send an offical transcript to the SURF office?
No. Please copy your transcript from Student Services Online and paste directly into the SURF application.
4) I am already working in a Columbia/ Barnard lab. Can I continue summer research in this lab as part of the SURF program?
Please list the lab in which you would like to continue working in the "private deal" section of your SURF application. In addition, both you and your mentor should contact the SURF program as soon as possible to initiate the application process; However, please note that this does not guarantee a SURF position.
5) I am a Columbia/ Barnard student interested in the Amgen Scholars Program. How do I apply?
Columbia/ Barnard students who complete the SURF application will automatically be considered for the Amgen Scholars Program. Please do not fill out the Amgen application.
6) Can I take a summer course, volunteer, or work at a part-time job during the 10 weeks?
No. The SURF program provides an opportunity for you to dedicate 100% of your time to laboratory research. Outside commitments detract from the quality of your work and your overall summer research experience; therefore, summer jobs and coursework are not permitted.
7) I received an email stating that a mentor was interested in my application; does this mean that I have been accepted into the program?
No. If you receive an email from the program coordinator or potential mentor, this does not guarantee your acceptance into the program. This email is only a preliminary part of the selection process, and your application must pass several more hurdles before we can officially offer you the fellowship.
8) When will I find out if I have been accepted into the program?
By the end of March.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com