Starting a Club...
Club Sports welcomes and encourages interested students to apply to start new clubs. Here's how...
- The first step in starting a new club is to fill out and submit the Application for Club Sports Recognition. In this application, you must name four undergraduate officers: president, vice president, treasurer, and secretary.
- Along with you completed application, you must also draft a Club Constitution which delineates the missions and goals of the proposed club and explains the ways in which the club will govern itself. You may find it helpful to consult the Club Sports Constitution Template.
- In addition, you must also submit a brief statement explaining 1) why you want to start the proposed club and 2) the positive contributions the club will make to recreation and leisure quality of life at Columbia.
- Next, you must include a petition with the signatures of at least twenty students interested in participating in the proposed Club.
- Once all application materials have been submitted, you must present your request for recognition in person to the Club Sports Governing Board at their weekly meeting. Here, be prepared to make a short presentation and answer questions about the proposed club.
- After your presentation, the CSGB will vote to approve the club for temporary status(which is defined in the handbook).
Your completed application can be submitted 1) in person at the Club Sports Office in Dodge Physical Fitness Center or 2) via email to the CSGB. Once your application is received, the CSGB will contact contact you to set up a time to meet. If you have any questions throughout the application process, please don't hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to reading your application!