A great effort put on by CUCC against Mad Dogs only to see the match slip
right out of our hands...
Here is the short version of the match report.
1. Toss won by CUCC given that the skipper of the Mad Dogs has been on a
"toss" losing streak. With the conditions of the wet and
heavy but well manicured outfield and a somewhat soft pitch, CUCC elected to
2. From the get go, Ajay was on target giving the batsmen a bit of trouble
with his swings. While on the other end, Ashok too was consistent on line
3. The change up in the bowling line up brought Arvind to replace Ajay and
Rohan to replace Ashok. Arvind struggled a bit before he finally got his
line and length. Rohan being the only left handed bowler on this team, gave
the batsmen a hard time before he was awarded CUCC with our first wicket.
However, the extras did start building up.
4. At 11 overs, Mad Dogs were at 33 runs. Excellent fielding on the part of
CUCC restricted many singles and more
5. Mad Dogs' 3rd batsman (their skipper) didn't last long, their 4th
batsmen came in and started to do some damage to the bowling
6. By water break Mad Dogs were around 89 for 3 at 16 overs.
7. We continued the game with Vishnu, who with his "selective"
bowling carried on troubling the line up. Raj on the other end, too
struggled but decided to take himself out but not before taking the wicket
of their number 4 pinch hitter.
8.Despite the extras and a couple of dropped catches, Mad Dogs were just
taking everything up to the air.
9. To finish off the overs Ajay came back on and took his one and only
wicket, while Ashok took 2 consecutive wickets only to let a hat trick go
past the off stump.
10 Rohan did the honors of taking the last wicket. Mad Dogs ended up
with 194 runs.
1. This match was ours to win and trying to give everyone a chance to
contribute, Sayan and Ratesh opened the batting. Sayan patiently playing his
game saw a few boundaries over the course of overs to come. Ratesh too was
looking comfortable but with the soft pitch, was dismissed LBW to a low
2. In went Aditya, who as a classic batsman started it off slow.
Unfortunately, his reign too came to a halt
3. Vishnu joined Sayan, who got hit on the toe, had a hard time running
between the wickets.
4. Between the two, there was hope once again for CUCC. Vishnu looking
comfortable at the crease started blasting their bowling out of the field.
His one shot a square drive for a 6 was the best shot of the day. Sayan was
still looking good hitting the balls hard over the heads, but came close to
being caught by an easy catch which literally was juggled a few times before
it slipped out of the fielder's grasp.
5. Eventually Sayan saw his wicket re arranged but batted well to contribute
40 runs to the score.
6. Pavan went in to join Vishnu who was looking good. Pavan the
"English" guy playing intelligently took his time getting his eye
on the ball and eventually punished a few too. One shot which should have
been 1 run turned into 5 runs when their long off fielder could not find the
ball which was 3 feet away from him. By water break, CUCC was at 103 at 17
overs. Right on target at the half way mark
7. Pavan didn't last long but contributed 19 valuable runs.
8. Raj, whom I consider our pinch hitter, had a difficult task of facing
spin bowlers from both ends. Getting a bit over zealous with a shot, saw his
cage rattled too. Rohan followed the same path as Raj and returned.
Both batsmen were dismissed in the similar manner.
9. By now, there was just Ajay, Arvind, Ashok and Raza left. With the slump
in the middle order, it was up to the rest to bring the game home. This was
not to happen.
10. Arvind lost his wicket followed by Ashok on the first ball being caught.
Ajay too followed being caught with single digits.
CUCC were all out for 141 runs at the 27th over. Given 9 overs to
spare, this game slipped right out of our hands with just 55 runs required.
A painful loss indeed.
CUCC played like a team giving 110%. A great effort put on by everyone
supporting the bowlers and sharp fielding. Despite the loss, we go back
to CT next Saturday to face Mad Dogs for the Mini League Finals.
Finally, thank you for showing up on time and arriving promptly at