Mail Code 5711
New York, NY 10027-6902
Phone: (212) 854-9400
Fax: (212) 854-9401
CSPA is affiliated with the Graduate School of Journalism at Columbia University in the City of New York.
Skip to navigation
Student Press Review
City evokes story ideas
Workshop participants gain new ideas for coverage
Editor's note: Originally published: September 5, 2003
Visiting a new city benefits student journalists, broadening their minds and inspiring them to think in new ways.
An unfamiliar milieu brings a different perspective, and New York City offers a range of cultures to experience.
At the CSPA Summer Workshop, students could not only meet new friends and discuss journalistic concerns, but also experience live musical theatre and interview cast members.
A student editor from the Madeira School in McLean, Va., Natalie Potter, described New York City as the biggest environment she had ever seen, adding that the workshop experience resembles "a creative exercise" that allows her to think independently and broaden her outlook on life.
Visiting a new city also becomes a source of inspiration for developing story ideas.
"It can give you a wider collection of images to implement in your descriptive coverage," said Danielle Skloven from the Phoenix Country Day School.
The experience can come in handy when comparing "the new observations of New York City what things you have seen before," she said.
Topics that begin as single story ideas could develop into pages or even special sections.
1. Describe students' travel experiences
2. Describe students' experiences at summer camps, internships,
jobs and schools
3. Report on school art shows, band concerts, choral concerts, dance
recitals and plays
4. Job shadow the school play director
5. Interview cast members of school performances
6. Run guest column on the challenges and rewards of performing
in live theatre
7. Describe how experiences in high school can affect career choices,
and invite graduates to comment on this topic
8. Look into the history of a local theatre
9. Describe the history of a school play
10. Compare country life with city life
Muzhi Xu edits The Griffin at Dulaney High School in Timonium, Md.
Prevents layout breakage if no content