Convert and edit a video:
Disclaimer: Please pay attention to any applicable copyright concerns, and understand the scope and limitations of Fair Use.
- The Copyright Advisory Office of Columbia University Libraries has an extensive website covering "Fair Use" and copyright concerns for scholars.
- See the Copyright Policy statement for administrators and faculty, published by the Provost's office. (Full policy in pdf format, here)
- See CUIT's notice on Copyright Policy (and links to further resources).
Disclaimer: The workflows here are offered as guides for further experimentation and learning. The technological landscape for Audio/Visual editing changes rapidly; the products and methods mentioned are for illustrative purposes only.
In this example, we will use the Realplayer Converter to convert a video clip into the WMV format.
If your video clip is not already in the WMV format, follow the instructions below.
- If you have not already done so, go to www.real.com and download and install Realplayer SP.
- Launch the program, "RealPlayer SP Converter". It can be found under the Windows Start button in your Program list.
- If this is your first time using Realplayer, you will want to create a custom conversion format. If you have already done so, skip to Step 9 .
To create a custom conversion format, click the arrow on the convert to box.
- If you see the Select a Device window, click More Devices.
- In the More Devices window, click Add Custom.
- In the Add Custom Device Profile window, give your format selections a name, and select Windows Media for the video format, and WAV for the audio format. These will work well with Powerpoint. Click OK.
In the future, you can select your custom profile from the Realplayer "More Devices" list.
- Select your format name in the More Devices list. Make sure the other choices are de-selected, and click OK.
- Realplayer presents you with the Select a Device window. Select your format and click OK.
- Click Browse to select your source video.
- Make sure your output format under convert to is listed as the Windows Media format profile that you created above in Steps 3-8.
Select the destination folder for your converted clip by clicking on the pulldown arrow in the Save In section.
Then click Start. Realplayer will process the conversion. The resulting clip will be ready to insert into Powerpoint.
- If you need to edit, trim, or cut your video clip further, see here.
To insert the resulting clip into Powerpoint, see here.