Department of Germanic Languages
414 Hamilton Hall, Mail Code 2812
1130 Amsterdam Ave
New York, NY 10027
Admission to the Graduate German Program
Candidates for admission to the graduate program should have exceptional fluency in German,
an excellent undergraduate and (if applicable) postgraduate record, strong letters of
recommendation, competitive GRE scores, and superlative writing skills.
The required components of the application, which must be received by the Columbia Graduate School of Arts and Sciences no later than January 3 are:
- Copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation from academic recommenders
- A personal statement about intellectual interests
- A writing sample, preferably in German (10-15 pages in length)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores from all international students who are not native speakers of English (unless they have received a post-secondary degree at a US college or university)
International students should consult the GSAS page on admissions, as well as the comprehensive site maintained by the Columbia Office for International Students and Scholars.
All students are encouraged to apply online to the graduate program.