Department of Germanic Languages
414 Hamilton Hall, Mail Code 2812
1130 Amsterdam Ave
New York, NY 10027
420 West 116th Street
(between Amsterdam Ave and Morningside Dr)
Requirements for majors and concentrators
Requirements for the Major in German Literature and Cultural History: 30 points. Required courses:
- GERM UN3001 (Advanced I) or UN3002 (Advanced II)
- GERM UN3333 (Introduction to German Literature)
- any two of the period survey courses in German literature and culture, GERM UN3442 (18th-Century), UN3443 (19th-Century), UN3444 (1900 to 1945), UN3445 (1945 to present); at least one of these must focus on pre-20th-century cultural history
- one course in German intellectual history;
- the senior seminar GERM UN3991
- the remaining courses to be chosen from the 3000- or 4000-level offerings in German and Comparative Literature-German.
Requirements for the Concentration in German Literature and Cultural History: 21 points in German courses numbered UN3001 and above, including the senior seminar GERM UN3991.