The Office of Communications and Public Affairs has created a series of web templates for use as starting blocks for designing websites. For help with a custom-designed website, email CUIT Interactive Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call their director, Joshua S. Freeman, at (212) 854-2083.
You can also download a PowerPoint template
that contains the University identity.
Web Identity Guidelines
Thoughtful consideration should be given to choosing a URL for your site, since it will impact branding, website popularity rankings, and the ease of displaying your URL in print publications. If you are a University entity, your URL should be www.yournamehere.columbia.edu or www.columbia.edu/yournamehere. Here are a few other rules to follow:
- Include the official University homepage hyperlink in the left-hand corner of the rooftop or banner of every webpage. See sample templates here: example 1, example 2, example 3. Rooftop text should appear in Verdana, white (#ffffff) and be 0.7em/8pt/11px in size.
- Include a search box and links to the University directory and help page in the upper right-hand corner of every webpage.
- Include the University name along with a copyright symbol and your office address and main telephone number in the footer of every webpage.
- Include a hyperlink in the footer that directs email to the webmaster or site content manager.
- Use Pantone 280 (Hex value #002b7f) for the background color in the rooftop and footer.
- For other official University colors, use the following conversions:
Pantone 290 / #c4d8e2
Pantone 280 / #002b7f
Pantone 284 / #75aadb
Pantone 286 / #0038a8
- Ideally, webpages should be scalable; barring that capability, the width of each page should be a minimum of 960 pixels.
- Test your website on different monitors, operating systems and browsers to ensure consistent rendering across platforms.
- The official University web logo is movable and scalable; however, do not change the aspect ratio or color of the image.
- The University identity can be reproduced in black (#000000), white (#ffffff), gray (#999999), Pantone 280, Pantone 284, Pantone 286 or Pantone 290.
- Do not use the crown without the accompanying name of the University.
- Do not use the University seal or shield as a stand-in for the crown logo or to represent the University as a whole. The seal is for official use only by the trustees.
- Do not combine multiple logos or visual marks. For example, do not use the official University identity on top of or next to the logo for a school or research center.
- If you choose to include an email link to "webmaster" on your site, it should be a link to your email address (or another email address specific to your organization), and NOT to email@example.com.
Next: Letterhead and Business Cards