Resources for Filing as "Resident Alien for Tax Purposes"
There are many resources for filing as a resident for tax purposes:
- The IRS provides a good overview in Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens
- "Free File" online federal tax preparation and electronic filing through the IRS for individuals with an adjusted gross income of $62,000 or less. See the Free File page on the IRS web site.
- The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance offers free efiling.
- Free tax assistance through New York Public Libraries.
- Commercial tax preparation software such as
- Any certified public accountants or tax preparers for in-person assistance.
Last Reviewed: March 1, 2016
Last modified: March 1 2016
Columbia University International Students and Scholars Office