Student Immigration Definitions

Obtaining F-1 Student Status at Columbia

Important Information for Students Fully Funded
by Columbia University

Transfer of F-1 Supervision

Change of Status to F-1

Message for Canadian Students

Potential Delays in Visa Issuance


Student Tax Information

Maintaining F-1 Status

Academic Certification for Travel

F-1 Travel Information

Govt Q & A for F-1 Travel

DHS Information on Arrival Problems

F-1 Extension of Stay (Current Program)

F-1 Extension of Stay to Begin New Program

F-1 Reinstatement

F-1 Work Opportunities

F-1 Practical Training (PT) Overview

F-1 Curricular Practical Training

F-1 Optional PT Before Degree Completion

F-1 Optional PT After Degree Completion
Post-Completion OPT PowerPoint Slides (PDF format)

NEW STEM 24-month OPT extension

F-1 Internship with an International Organization

F-1 Leave of Absence, Suspension or Withdrawal

Student Departure Information

F-1 Reduced Course Load Request

Inviting Relatives/Friends to Visit You

Address Change Form

Applying for a Social Security Number

On-Campus Work for Students in F-1 Status

If you are a student in F-1 student status at Columbia University, you may be eligible to work on campus. On-campus employment means simply that you are paid by Columbia University or working at a University location with an employer that is providing services to students, such as the Bookstore. Students whose funding is personal or from family will receive permission if they are maintaining satisfactory academic performance.

During academic terms (early September to mid-May), on-campus work may total 20 hours per week, including work that is part of your financial aid or merit award. Off-campus work is counted toward the term-time limitation of 20 hours per week. During your annual vacation (usually mid-May to early September) and the intersession (approximately the last week of December through the third week of January), on-campus work may be full-time, provided you intend to register at Columbia in the semester following the break.

On-campus employment requires an I-9 Employment Verification authorization form to be completed by you at the I-9 Processing Center, 210 Kent Hall, in advance of beginning to work.

Other Institutional Funding

If you receive a scholarship, fellowship, or other institutional funding from a source other than Columbia, obtain written approval from your sponsor in order to work.

Last Reviewed: 9 March 2011 Last modified: 9 March 2011
International Students and Scholars Office
Columbia University