Student Immigration Definitions

Obtaining J-1 Exchange Visitor
Student Category Status at Columbia

Transfer of J-1 Supervision

Change of Status to F-1

Potential Delays in Visa Issuance


Student Tax Information

Message for Canadian Students

Maintaining J-1 Status

DS-2019 Recertification

Health Insurance Overview for J-1 Students

J-1 Travel Information

DHS Information on Arrival Problems

J-1 Extension of Stay (Current Program)

J-1 Extension of Stay to Begin New Program


J-1 Work Opportunities

J-1 On-Campus Work Request

J-1 Academic Training

Employment Authorization for J-2

J-1 Leave of Absence, Suspension or Withdrawal

Student Departure Information

Home Country Residency Requirement

Reduced Course Load Request

Address Change Form

Health Insurance in the United States

All J-1 holders and their dependents are required by Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations to have health insurance that meets specific minimum coverage requirements while in the United States. You are required to purchase health insurance from Columbia University's insurance provider unless you can show proof of insurance with sufficient coverage to satisfy Exchange Visitor Program requirements. Columbia's insurance can also be purchased for your dependents.

Health Services at Columbia provides information on Columbia University's Student Medical Insurance Plan.


Last Reviewed: 17 February 2011 Last modified: 17 February 2011
International Students and Scholars Office
Columbia University