Student Immigration Definitions

Obtaining J-1 Exchange Visitor
Student Category Status at Columbia

Transfer of J-1 Supervision

Change of Status to F-1

Potential Delays in Visa Issuance


Student Tax Information

Message for Canadian Students

Maintaining J-1 Status

DS-2019 Recertification

Health Insurance Overview for J-1 Students

J-1 Travel Information

DHS Information on Arrival Problems

J-1 Extension of Stay (Current Program)

J-1 Extension of Stay to Begin New Program


J-1 Work Opportunities

J-1 On-Campus Work Request

J-1 Academic Training

Employment Authorization for J-2

J-1 Leave of Absence, Suspension or Withdrawal

Student Departure Information

Home Country Residency Requirement

Reduced Course Load Request

Address Change Form

On-Campus Work for Students in J-1 Status

If you are a student in J-1 student status at Columbia University, you may be eligible to work on campus. On-campus employment means simply that you are paid by Columbia University or working at a University location with an employer that is providing services to students, such as the Bookstore. Students whose funding is personal or from family will receive permission if they are maintaining satisfactory academic performance.

During academic terms (early September to mid-May), on-campus work may total 20 hours per week, including work that is part of your financial aid or merit award. Off-campus work is counted toward the term-time limitation of 20 hours per week. During your annual vacation (usually mid-May to early September) and the intersession (approximately the last week of December through the third week of January), on-campus work may be full-time, provided you intend to register at Columbia in the semester following the break.

If you receive support from your department in the form of a fellowship or assistantship, you must submit to the ISSO a letter from your department supporting your request for work on campus. SEAS students holding the title of GRA cannot work on campus beyond this position since it is defined as 20 hours per week. GSAS students must obtain this letter from their department's Director of Graduate Studies. Undergraduate grants do not require permission from your school to work on campus.

The letter must include the following information:

For those doing research in a laboratory: the number of hours you are working-beyond the hours you are working on your own dissertation research-and supporting your request to work additional hours on campus.

For those holding teaching positions: a statement in support of your request to work additional hours on campus and giving the following information about your teaching.

Total number of hours in the classroom per week
Total number of hours of preparation per week
Total number of office hours per week
Total number of hours grading exams, papers per week.

Other Institutional Funding: If you receive a scholarship, fellowship, or other institutional funding from a source other than Columbia, obtain written approval from your sponsor in order to work. The number of hours per week you may work will be at the discretion of the ISSO, unless your sponsor specifies a lesser number of hours. If you have been told that your sponsor has already provided written blanket permission for its students, please confirm this with the ISSO staff before seeking employment to ensure that you meet all the conditions of your sponsor's approval.

Last Reviewed: 1 April 2011 Last modified: 1 April 2011
Columbia University International Students and Scholars Office