University Council records, 1890-1969
The University Council was introduced in 1890 as an advisory body to the University President, in particular to all matters
affecting the Master's and the Doctoral degrees, "the correlation of courses, the extension of university work in new and
old fields, and generally as to such matters as the President brings before it." This advisory body was made up of representatives
from the different faculties (originally, Law, Mines, Political Science, Philosophy and Dean of the School of the Arts). Following
the events of April and May 1968, urged by students and faculty alike, the University administration began revising long-established
policies to include input from other members of the University community. The University Senate effectively replaced the University
Council (12 May 1890-28 May 1969) which was created to give representation to the faculties and the administration in one
central body, enabling them to address the Trustees jointly rather than separately.
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the minutes and correspondence files of the University Council (1890 to 1968).