Archival Collections
Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library

The Upjohn collection of architectural drawings by Richard Richard Michell and Hobart Upjohn : Architectural drawings papers and records, 1827-1910 

Upjohn, Richard, 1802-1878
Phys. Desc: 
2000 drawings (approximate)
Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library
View CLIO record >>

Biographical Note

Richard Upjohn (1802-1878) was a prominent mid-nineteenth century architect, who was born in England but studied and practiced in the United States, first in Boston and the in New York City. Upjohn was one of the foremost practitioners of the Gothic Revival style, his best known work in that style being Trinity Church in New York City. He was also the founder and first president (1857-1876) of the American Institute of Architects. In 1851 Richard Upjohn formed Upjohn & Company with his son Richard Michell Upjohn (1828-1878), who worked in his father's office from the age of 18. All Upjohn projects after 1860 were the product of a close collaboration between father and son. Richard Michell is best known as the architect of the Connecticut State Capitol. Hobart Upjohn was his son.