Talbot Faulkner Hamlin papers and architectural records, 1880-1959 bulk 1916-1955
|Hamlin, Talbot, 1889-1956,.
|9.1 linear feet of papers (9.1 linear feet of papers); 510 drawings (510 drawings); 2166 negatives (2166 negatives); 1691
photographs (1691 photographs); 160 postcards (160 postcards)
|Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library
|View CLIO record >>
Talbot Faulkner Hamlin was born on June 16, 1889 in New York City. He was the second of the four children of Alfred Dwight
Foster Hamlin (1855-1926), professor of architecture at Columbia University, and Minnie Florence Marston Hamlin (1859-?).
Hamlin's formal education began in the Trinity School in New York in 1898. His parents transferred him to the Horace Mann
School in New York in 1900, from which he graduated in 1906. Hamlin went on to Amherst College and received his Bachelor of
Arts in classics and English in 1910. In the fall of 1910, Hamlin enrolled in the School of Architecture at Columbia University
and began his forty-six year association with the university. He received his Bachelor of Architecture in 1914. Upon graduation,
Hamlin was hired as a draftsman in the New York architectural firm of Murphy and Dana. He became a partner of the firm in
1920 and the firm's name was changed to Murphy, McGill and Hamlin, following Richard Henry Dana, Jr.'s (1879-1933) departure
in 1921. The firm lasted until 1924, when Henry Killam Murphy (1877-1954) withdrew and the firm became known as McGill and
Hamlin. This partnership with Henry J. McGill (d. 1953) ended in 1930 when Hamlin began his own firm, which lasted until the
Depression, when commissions became scarce. During his years as a professional architect, Hamlin participated in various projects,
mainly located in the United States and Asia, including China, Japan, Korea, the Philippines. The bulk of his projects in
the United States were residential and institutional (schools and churches), while projects in Asia were institutional (schools
and monuments) and commercial. Although more than once Hamlin expressed his interests in modern architecture through his writing,
his design showed a disparity: the United States works were mainly in the eclectic historical style that was still dominant
at that time, while the Asian works incorporated indigenous detailing within conventional Beaux-Arts compositional arrangements.
Hamlin's academic career began in 1916 when he was appointed a part-time instructor of architectural history and theory in
the School of Architecture at Columbia University. In 1934, he relinquished his professional practice and accepted the full-time
position of Avery Librarian for the Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. Among his major contributions
to Avery Library, Hamlin established the Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals. Hamlin remained librarian until 1945, when
he resigned in order to devote more time to his professorship. Hamlin served the University for thirty-eight years, until
his retirement in 1954. In addition to teaching, Hamlin's academic achievement also rests on his publication and public service.
He had been an avid writer since his youth. In his lifetime, he published eight book-length works and miscellaneous essays,
encyclopedia and dictionary articles, critical and book reviews, as well as poetry, plays, and fiction. He was also the editor
of the four-volume Form and Functions of Twentieth Century Architecture (1952). Among his publications, the most notable are
Greek Revival Architecture in America (1944) and Benjamin Henry Latrobe (1955). The latter won him the Pulitzer Prize for
Biography in 1956. Hamlin had appreciation for modern architecture and brought attention to Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier,
and Russian avant-garde architecture in his writing. Nevertheless, most of his major works are on historical architecture,
particularly pre-modernist American architecture. Hamlin was also an active member of the Society of Architectural Historians
and active in historical preservation in New York. Hamlin became ill during a trip to Florida and died on October 7, 1956,
in Beaufort, South Carolina.