Carnegie Endowment for International Peace New York and Washington Offices records, 1910-1954.
|Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. New York and Washington Offices.
|335 linear ft (678 boxes, 536 volumes).
|Rare Book & Manuscript Library
|View CLIO Record and Request Material >>
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, established by Andrew Carnegie in 1910, is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated
to advancing cooperation between nations and promoting active international engagement by the United States. Carnegie selected
28 trustees who were leaders in American business and public life; among them were Harvard University president Charles W.
Eliot; philanthropist Robert S. Brookings; former Ambassador to Great Britain Joseph H. Choate; former Secretary of State
John W. Foster; former president of MIT and then-president of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching Henry
S. Pritchett; and Carnegie Institution of Washington president Robert S. Woodward. He chose longtime adviser Elihu Root -Senator
from New York, former Secretary of War and of State, and future Nobel Peace Prize recipient- to be the Endowment's first president.
The Endowment was initially organized into three divisions: the Division of Economics and History to study the causes and
impact of war, the Division of Intercourse and Education to promote international understanding and cooperation, and the Division
of International Law to aid in the development of international law and dispute settlement. A European Centre and advisory
board, set up in Paris as part of the Division of Intercourse and Education, was initially headed by Baron Paul d'Estournelles
de Constant, founder and president of the Association for International Conciliation. The Library of the Centre Europeen was
founded in 1913 in order to establish a collection of works on international law, politics, economics, government, and social
science. During the interwar period, the Endowment revitalized efforts to promote international conciliation, financed reconstruction
projects in Europe, supported the work of other organizations, and founded the Academy of International Law at the Hague.
Endowment publications of the interwar period included the unprecedented 22-volume Classics of International Law, and the
150-volume Economic and Social History of the World War. In 1925, Nicholas Murray Butler, also a Nobel Prize recipient, succeeded
Elihu Root as president of the Endowment. Over the next 20 years he promoted his vision of international cooperation in business
and politics. Among his other accomplishments, he was instrumental in fashioning the Kellogg-Briand no-war pact of 1928. The
activities of CEIP European Centre were almost completely suspended during the Nazi occupation of Paris. In 1954 the Centre
moved to Geneva. Following World War II and Butler's retirement, the Endowment's three divisions were consolidated under the
direction of President Joseph E. Johnson. John Foster Dulles led the board. For the next two decades the Endowment conducted
research and public education programs on a range of issues, particularly relating to the newly created United Nations and
the future of the postwar international legal system. The Endowment provided diplomatic training for some 250 foreign service
officers from emerging nations and published International Conciliation, a leading journal in the field.
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, memoranda, financial documents, minutes, book and lecture typescripts, printed matter, reports, press releases,
news clippings, posters, architectural plans, and photographs document the activities of the New York and Washington Offices
of Carnegie Endowment for International Peace from 1910 until 1954, as well as the founding, administration, and activity
of the Centre Europeen (CEIP Paris Office) and the work of the Carnegie Endowment in Europe in 1911-1940. The CEIP records
are most complete for the 1940-1945 period, while some documentation from the post-war period was retained by the Endowment.
The collection does not include any records on grants given by the CEIP. Grant files and post-1954 materials are still with
the Endowment in Washington, DC.