Archival Collections
Health Sciences Library

Maternity Center Association records, 1907-2010 (bulk 1918-1995) 

Creator: 
Maternity Center Association (New York, N.Y.)
Phys. Desc: 
96.25 cubic feet (275 boxes, 1 carton, 1 banker's box, 9 flat boxes, 6 oversize folders, 1 volume)
Location: 
Health Sciences Library
View CLIO record >>

Online information

Biographical Note

Founded in 1918, the Maternity Center Association (MCA) was an important force in improving pre-natal care and maternal health in the United States. It educated nurses and public health officials, engaged in innovative public relations campaigns, and worked closely with a wide variety of medical, nursing, and philanthropic organizations in its quest to fulfill this mission. MCA established the first midwifery school in the U.S.; helped found the profession of the nurse-midwife in this country; commissioned Robert L. Dickinson and Abram Belskie to create a series of bas-reliefs illustrating gestation from conception to birth for the 1939 New York World's Fair; and actively promoted the natural childbirth movement. During the 1970s-90s it operated several childbearing centers in New York City. It merged with the National Partnership for Women and Families in early 2014. For additional information, see finding aid.

Scope and Contents

Minutes of boards and committees; correspondence of the General Directors and other staff members; records of the Lobenstine Clinic and School; records of the Childbearing Centers; records of educational and advocacy efforts; fundraising and public relations records; pamphlets and newspaper clippings; scrapbooks; posters; drawings; and photographs. The records document the administrations of General Directors Anne Stevens, 1918-1921, Nancy E. Cadmus, 1922-23; Hazel Corbin, 1923-1965; Vera Keane, 1965-1968; Ruth W. Lubic, 1970-1995; and Maureen Corry, 1995-2014. For additional information, see finding aid.