Archival Collections
Rare Book & Manuscript Library

Schulte's Book Store records, 1918-1959 

Creator: 
Schulte's Book Store (New York, N.Y.)
Phys. Desc: 
.25 linear feet (.25 linear feet 1 halfsized document box)
Call Number: 
MS#1538
Location: 
Rare Book & Manuscript Library
View CLIO Record and Request Material >>

Biographical Note

Schulte's Book shop was founded by Theodore E. Schulte in 1917. The shop, one of the first to open in the area of Manhattan around lower Fourth Ave (an area that became known as Bookseller's Row- a phrase possible coined by Schulte), specialized in theological texts, and low-priced copies of general trade books. Schulte ran the business until his death in 1950, when the store's manager, Philip Pesky took over the business-- passing it on to his own son with his death in 1955. The store remained a mainstay of the Fourth Avenue book trade until the 1980s.

Scope and Contents

The collection contains letters and postcards from a variety of the book store's patrons regarding the sale and acquistion of books. Additionally, there are letters from a variety of correspondents to the literary editors of the New York Herald Tribune submitting work for review in that newspaper.