Stokes, I. N. Phelps The iconography of Manhattan Island 1498-1909 (v. 3)

(New York :  Robert H. Dodd,  1915-1928.)



Jump to page:

Table of Contents

  Page [ix]  


THE present volume completes our survey of the history and de¬
velopment of Manhattan Island. There remains only to record,
in chronological order, such extracts and summaries from the
primary and secondary sources consulted as may prove of value in con¬
nection with further or more detailed researches. This material will be
found arranged, and to a certain extent annotated, in the fourth volume,
which, in addition to the Chronology, and the Index, will contain also
the Bibliography, which could not be completed in time for inclusion in
the third volume. In the Addenda to the present volume will be found
reproduced, and very briefly described, such important maps, plans, and
views, as have come to light during the progress of the work, too late to
be included in their chronological sequence. Although, doubtless, many
gaps still exist which time, chance, and further research, will fill, it is
gratifying to the author to feel that, through the generous co-operation of
collectors and custodians of public documents, wherever appealed to, it
has proved possible to include among the reproductions every important
map, plan, and view, of Manhattan interest known to him to exist.

Since the appearance of the first volume of the Iconography, the
splendid collection of views of American cities formed by Mr. Percy R.
Pyne, 2d, has been dispersed.* In the number and importance of its
early New York views, this collection rivalled that of Mr. Edward W. C.
Arnold, who, through acquisitions made at the sale, now possesses the
finest and most complete collection of New York City prints in existence,
and one unlikely ever to be surpassed. Although Mr. Pyne's collection
and Mr. Arnold's have been formed since the work on the Iconography
began, and were therefore not available when the original selection of

*The Pyne Collection was sold at public auction at the American Art Galleries, on February sth,
6th, and 7th, 1917.
  Page [ix]