CHRONOLOGY : THE RECONSTRUCTION PERIOD : 1783-1812 1335
Building is at the Head of Catharine Street Si Chathara Square."
—.If, C.C, (1784-1830,11: 294. OnOct,3i, the board appointed
a superintendent tor "the erection of the new Watch House in Chat¬
ham Square."—JtiU, II: 298. On Nov. 9, £100 was paid toward
this object,—Ibid., U: 300, See alao ibid., II: 301. See D 19.
Another petition, dated Oct. 22, to the aame effect as tbose of
June 20 (q. v.), ia presented to the common councU.—M. C. C.
(1784-1831), U: 295. This one adds that. If the Exchange SUp
is filled up, the small boats supplying tbe market would be deprived
of a sate and commodious harbour.—From the origind in metal
file No. 16, city derk's record-roora. See N 9.
The coramon councU passes an ordinance prohibiting every
boat and vessd, except tbe Paulus Hook ferry-boata, frora coming
into Cordandt SUp.—M. C, C. (1784-1831), II: 295-96,
The comraon councU orders that the derk prepare a report to
the legialature "on the aubject of the late Alma Houae Lottery"
(see Ap is).—M. C. C. (1784-1831), II: 296, 298.
Gov. Jay, io a message read before the senate and asserably,
says in part: "Difficulties were eiperienced in executing the benevo¬
lent intentions of the Legislature respecting a Lazaretto in tbe
vicinity of this dty. Ground conveniently situated could not be
purchased; and the placing It on Governor's Island, where it
could not have been erected at a proper distance from the garrison,
was Uable to strong objections. These difficulties have been re¬
moved by the liberdity of die Corporation ot the city. They
have gratuitously conveyed Bedlow's Island to the State [see
Ag 10] for this and auch other public uses as the Legldature may
from tirae to tirae direct. Certain buildings, erected there by the
French Republic, have been purchased, and prepared to Serve
the purpose of a Lazaretto tor tbe present—But as additions and
alterations will be neceasary; and as precautlona should be taken
to prevent that island frora being further diminished, by encroach¬
ments of the water, the appropriation of some money for these
objects, will be requiaite. , . ,"—Assemb. Jour., 20th sea a., 5.
For description of the establishment, see Dec. Regarding further
title to Bedloe's Idand, see F 15, 1800.
A number of the dergy and laity of the "Presbyterian, reformed
Dutch, Associate Rdormed, and Baptist Churches" form tbe New
York Missionary Society.—Argus, N 5, 1796.
An encounter takes place in Cortlandt St. "between tbe hon¬
ourable John Rutherford, Esq. a Senator ot the United States, and
Sir John Temple, Vice Counsd ot his Britannic Majesty." Ruther¬
ford "attacked Sir Jobn with an huge bludgeon on suspicion ot hia
being the author of a publication In which he supposes hiraaelf
called 'young Gripe-all,' and charged with being a tory during
the war." Sir John "defended himself with a small horse-whip."
The report further states that, notwithstanding disparity ot age
and weapons (Sir John being ahout 70, and Mr. Rutherford about
30), tbe latter was knocked down and "most terribly beaten."—
Centlnel of Freedom (Newark, N. J.), N 9, 1796. Sir John Temple's
death occurred in 1798 (q.v.). See also Rutherfurd's Family
Records and Events (1894), 220-21.
"The inhabitanta ot Morisanla and West-Chester have peti¬
tioned the Legislature for aid in opening tbe new road trora Harlera
Bridge [see Je 13 and S 27] through tbose towna. It is said thia
road will ahorten the distance to New-Haven 4 miles. . . ."—
Minerva, N 4, 1796. See, further, Mr 30, 1797.
The common council recelvea another petition (see Je 20, O 24)
against filling up the Exchange Slip.-M. C. C. (1784-1831),
II: 299. The origind (in metal file No. 16, city derk's record-
roora) is endorsed "read 9'^ Nov' 1796 k referred to the Com**
on the forraer Petition on that subject," Dated Nov, 4, it urges
that the slip be filled up instead ot being raerdy cleaned. These
petitioners state that "Many good Citizens in that part of the
City have in tbe last tew montha faUen a aacrifice to a violent
disorder," but "whether their Deaths may be attributed to that
nauseous Slip, or not, is a Question perhaps not easily decided."
Neverthdess, a "large part of the Citizens attribute the fatal
Fever to that Cause," and "many of the Faculty hold tbe same
opinion." They advise that, "If the Slip in question was filled
up to within forty feet of the North side of South Street, and a
Bridge placed across the mouth of the Slip, the width ot, and to
forra a part of. South Street, it would leave a tree access for sraaU
Craft under the Bridge, make a convenient span of forty teet tor
a landing above it," etc.
The common council orders payment of £19:14 to John DeWitt
"for Windsor Chairs for Senate k Assembly Rooms."—M. C. C.
(1784-1831), II: 300. On Dec. 5, £41:10:1 was paid "tor altera¬
tions in the Senate Charaber" (see O 2)-—Ibid., U: 308,
The legislature holds its last session in New York before remov¬
ing permanentiy to Albany,—See Ja 20, 1795; N 21, 1796.
Fourteen unappropriated stands in the lower Fly Market are
sold at public auction tor £3,470.—M. C. C. (1784-1831), U:
301. Nine stands in tbe upper market were later aold tor £498.—
Ibid. II; 307; DeVoe, Market Baok, 200-'!.
Trinity veatry appointa a committee "to consider the Propriety
ot making S' Marks Church [a] Distinct Church from thia Corpora¬
tion and it such Disposition can be legal."—Trin. Min. (MS.).
The coraraon council gives a permit to sdl coffee in the street at
the Fly Market,—M, C. C. (1784-1831), II: 301. On Feb. 10,
1797, another such perrait was given, this time to a woman.—Ibid.,
II: 324. On June 18, 1798, tbe board referred to a coraraittee a
petition "against the Indulgence to Hucksters and drawers ot
Coffee in the Su-eet at tbe Fly Market."—Ibid., II: 450.
Walter Rutherfurd writes to hia son Jobn: "Our Aasembly has
adjourned to meet at Albany aod never raore sit here. It all de¬
pended on Jacob Morris's vote which the Yorkers were in strong
hopes of, this made the Senate equal and the Patroon gave the
casting vole. . . ."—Rutherfurd, Family Records and Events,
173, See N II, 1796; Mr 10. 1797,
The coraraon council passes an ordinance entitled "A Law to :
prevent any Ship or other Vessd (eicept Vessels Boats k Craft
which usually bring to this City fire Wood k Articles ot Provisions)
trora coming into or lying in the Coffee Houae Slip—the Old SUp
and Coenties Slip."—Af, C, C. (1784-1831), II; 304,
The corporation cdebrates tbe evacuation of the city, aa usual, :
with a public dinner, this tirae in the city hdl. Catharine Simmons
is again the caterer, her charge being £55:7:6, which was paid on
Nov. 28.—M. C. C. (1784-183O, H; 306.
Dr. Richard Bayley reports to Gov. Jay the condition of the
hospitd established on Bedloe's Island, and of the docks where -
"the late malignant fever" is supposed to have originated. He
atates in part: " . , , The necessary Buildings for tbe sick on the
Island are First, A large and wdl ventilated House to contain
the patients during their sickness. Secondly. A sraaU building to
receive the sick, on their first arrival, where they are to undergo a
proper cleansing: Thia might be provided with Bathing-tub, the
means of warm-bathing, and neceaaary doathing ot every kind,
Thirdly—a aeparate building for convalescents, wiiich may be the
means not only ot saving many lives, but also. In the event, prove
highly economical, by greatly expediting the recovery of the sick—
Fourthly. A separate building to which the dead should be Imme¬
diatdy conveyed.—Fifthly. A wash House to which aU the dirty
linnen bedding &c. Sm. may be iraraediatdy sent, ..."
In describing the causes of the fever in different parts of the
town the following account is given: . . . "The Docks spoken ot in
the South Eastern part of the City, which were in so loathsome a
state, have been compleated, and generaUy covered with a suffi¬
cient quantity ot good Earth, Gravd, or Sand; the grounda have
been drained, or where that has not been practicable, the surface
haa been rendered uniforra, with dean earth. The Vacancies under
the Stores wbich were built on piles, have been filled up in a proper
marmer; . . . Wharves haveheen kept free from rubbish and filth.
In short so much care and industry has been bestowed here, to
remove tbe nuisances which so generally abounded, that where a
person was before dmost suffocated widi intolerable Stenches one
may now pass without experiencing tbe least offensive smeU.
"Secondly, let us see what haa happened at the South West part
of tbe Town. Between the White HaU and eichange slips, anew
Dock has been raade, running on an average sixty feet in the river—
extending 458 teet in front, and nine feet in depth. It nine square
teet are calculated to be equal to a Cart load, it wiU be found that
14-oooloads were necessary to fill up this Dock, whlchwereaccurau-
lating frora July 1795 to July 1796. And what has been the nature
of the materials eraployed for this purpoae? It ia difficult to anawer
the question, eicept in very general terms, namely, every thing
subject to decay and corruption. . . ,
"In the raonth of April of this year I had frequent occasions to
visit White HaU. The stench which dready issued from the Docks
was highly offenrive, and on enquiry I found that tbe matter which
had been employed to make the new ^ound, consisting prindpaUy
of the dirt which had been accumulating in the 'streets during tbe