Stokes, I. N. Phelps The iconography of Manhattan Island 1498-1909 (v. 5)

(New York :  Robert H. Dodd,  1915-1928.)

Tools


 

Jump to page:

Table of Contents

  Page 1488  



THE ICONOGRAPHY OF MANHATTAN ISLAND
 

Trinity corporation is wiUing "to cede all the reraainder of the
ground required ot thera for Canal Street lo the Corporation ot
New York upon the same conditions as has been proposed by M''
Jay and Mr Lynch: viz' that they are not to be assessed for any
ground further required for Canal Street, or for tbe removd of any
buildings or obstruction therein."-M. C. C. (1784-1831), V: 32.
This was accepted on March 21.—Ibid, V: 62.  See D 14, 1809.

The committee on the Collect Pond is authorised to adopt
measures for the reraoval ot mud trora it.—M. C. C. (1784-1831),
V; 40. A week later, the attention ot the "Dirt Coramittee" was
called to tbe offensive black raud, "raised frora the bottom of the
Collect, by the pressure of the incumbent earth thrown into it to
fill it up."—Merc Adv; Mr 10, 1808.

Tbe Regents report to the legislature that the College of Pby-
aiciana and Surgeons (see Mr 12, 1807) "bas been duly organized,
and professors and lecturers appointed, for teaching tbe various
branches of medicd education. .   ,   .

"The Regents of the University being satisfied this institution
is important to the weffare of the people ot this state, respectfully
recoraraend it to the patronage ot tbe legislature."—Assemb. Jour;

'         A "concourse ot Labourers out of employment" assembles in

the lobby of the city hall, and a committee from the body represents
to the common council their distress and inability to support their
families. The labourers are directed to meet the coraraittee of waya
and means (of the coramon coundl) at the alrashouae on March 8.
The board also appoints a committee "to confer with Captain Whyl-
ley. Commandant at Fort Columbus, on the subject of employing
as raany labourers as possible on the public works at Governor's
island."—M.C. C. (i784-i83i),V;  46.  See Mr 14.

The common council recdves an application "from a Comrait¬
tee of Tammany Society, respecting the interraent of the rdics of
American Seamen, who perished on board the Jersey Prison Ship,
at tbe Wallabout during the revolutionary War, requesting tbe con¬
currence and co-operation of tbe Corporation," This ia rderred to
a coramittee.~M. C. C. (1784-1831), V: 42, The application was
a copy of the circular letter of Feb. n (q.v.). For the commit¬
tee's report, see Mr 28.

The wooden drain on the west side of Broad St., which "has
lain since the year 1790 when the pavement was taken up and
altered trora the old method of conveying the water through the
centre of the Streets," ia obstructed. The comraon council orders
that it "be opened and repaired as tar as it may be deemed, upon
examination to require it; and if so rotten as lo he irreparable, that
a new drain be constructed ot wood: but that it a majority of the
proprietors, immediatdy interested, shall. In two weeks, signify
their assent, that then, and in that case, the same shdl be con¬
structed and laid with brick."—iVf. C. C. (1784-1831), V: 44-45.
See also ibid., V: 92-93.

The collectors of the Second, Third, Fifth, Siith, and Seventh
Warda coraplain to the common council that it Is very difficult
to collect taxes in those wards, "owing to the entire stagnation ot
business, in consequence of the present situation ot public affairs."
—M. C. C. (1784-1831), V; 42, 52-53.

"A Meraorial of Thoraas Duggan and others, requesting that
legal measures may he taken to reraove the House ot John Mc-
Cararaon, which encumbers Canal Street," is referred to a corarait¬
tee,—M. C. C. (1784-1831), V:  42.

WiUiam Bridges is reraoved from the office of city surveyor.—
M. C. C. (1784-1831), V: 46. For his reappointment, see April
10, 1809.

I         The state authorises the commissary of military stores to pur¬

chase one half acre of ground in New York City for the erection of
the new powder magazine (see Ap 3, 1S07, and Ja 26, 1808), and
appropriates a further sura of $1,000 for the building.—Ltruis af
N. Y. (1808), chap. 48.

4         Col. Hatch, of Boston, eihibits to the  common  council "a

Modd ot a Floating Battery;" and it is referred lo the committee of
ddence.—Af. C. C. (1784-1831), V: 58,

'          Secretary of War Dearborn writes to Recorder Van Wyck that

in accordance with Van Wyck's request he has given orders "to
employ as great a nuraber ot labourers aa can be convenientiy era¬
ployed to advantage at the different works in and about your dty
and harbor."—M. C. C. (1784-1831), V:  58-59.

A memorial ot Archibald Gracie and others "praying the ioter-
poaition of thia Corporation to obtain frora the Legislature a grant
 

ot part ot the public ground attached to the government House for
the purpoae of eitending Bridge Street from WhitehaU Street to
the Battery" ia referred to a committee.—M. C. C. (1784-1S31),
V: 50. See Mr. 21.

By act of the legislature, the Seventh Wnrd is divided into two
parts, one of the parts to be hereafter deaignated as the Tenth
Ward. The prearable states that the voting population of the
Seventh Ward "greatiy exceeds the nuraber ot dectors of any ot
the other warda," and it has been "found impracticable to coUect
the votes ... for representatives In the legislature ot this state,
or for members of the common coundl , . , within the periods
for such purposes allowed by the law." The aet further provides
that in future elections the polls shall reraain open "for the period
of three d ays."—Litujj ofN. Y. (1808), chap. 49. See also M. C. C.
(1784-1831), V:   33. J5>76.

The state having already been authorised by the legislature to
deed to the United States certain parcels of land on Staten Island
and Long Island for fortifications (Laws ofN. Y., 1807, chap. 51),
the act is now extended to the lands covered by water, between
Long and Staten Islands and below the south bounds ot tbe city
and county of New York; also to certain landa in the city and
county of New York, and to lands covered by water therein;
and the law authorises that EUis or Oyster Island may be pur¬
chased or taken by law.—Ibid. (1S08), chap. 51.

On April 27, the sheriff of New York County published a notice
that he waa comraanded by the court of chancery to inquire what
loss would be austained by the owners and tenants ot Ellis or Oyster
Island by taking this island for fortifications, and that he would
execute the writ on May 14 next by taking poaaesaion.—Public
Adv; Ap 28, 1808. See dso Gerard, Cily Water Rigkis, Streets,
and Red Estate, 45.  See My 16 and N 4.

The legislature passes an act eropowering the governor to
choose one ot the three lots offered by the city tor a new arsend
(seeF 8), and appropriating $13,000 for the erection and equlpraent
of the building.—L,iu;i ofN. Y. (1808), chap. 61. See dao M. C. C.
(i784-i83i),V:  76.

The common council adopts a raeraorial to the legislature asking
that "no  bill may be passed by which the insurance of Lottery
Tickets shaU recdve the sanction of law."—iW. C. C. (1784-1831),
V;  64.  See dso Mr 4, 1807,
The road coramittee give
bridges on Manhattan Ave.,:
ing Inclenberg Hill on Bost<
61.  See also ib'id, V:  96.

The comraittee on the petition for the extension of Bridge St. '
(see Mr 14) reports to the common council that " this arrangeraent
wiU considerably iraprove the southern district ot the city by adding
to its beauty, convenience and hedth, and that as the Legislature
are now about making a cession to the United Slates ot the ground
through which this Street must pass, a proper aeaaon presents to
make the appUcation." The coramittee urges, however, "that no
considerations ought to interfere with the views or plans of the
United States, and that the application for a reservation sufficient
for this object should be made on condition only that a Sufficiency
ot ground wiU stUl remain for the United States, and that it wiU
not interfere with the design or plan of the Chid Engineer." The
report ia referred to the counsd and attorney ot the board with di¬
rections to prepare a draft of a raeraorid to the legislature.—Jlf.C. C.
(1784-1831), V:  60-61.  See Mr 28.

The legislature authorises the president and directors ot the :
Manhattan Co. to lease or seU thdr water-works lo the city, and
to retain their other rights aod privileges tor 30 years.—Laws of
N. r. (180S), chap. 88. See also Com. AdV; Mr 22, 1808, and L'Ora¬
cle, Ml 30, 1808. The water-works, however, were not purchased
by the city.—See Mr 28.

As Henry Remsen, Saraud M. Thomson, and otbers have '
represented that they and their associates "have become proprietors
ot the bridge built across Harlera river frora Harlera to Morrissania,
and of the lot of ground and dwdling-house adjoining thereto,"
the legislature incorporates them aa "the Harlem bridge com¬
pany."—JLaifi ofN. Y. (1808), chap. 71. The bridge referred to
waa the Coles Bridge erected in 1796 (aee Mr 24 and N 24, 1795)-
It was the firat bridge buUt across tbe Harlera River at Third Ave.
—L. M. R. K,, ni:  926.

The senate and assembly pass the foUowing joint resolution:
"Tbat the senators and representatives of thia state. In the con-
 

orders for finishing the ends of tbe
ear the powder house, and for reduc-
n Road.—M. C. C. (1784-1831), V:
  Page 1488