Stokes, I. N. Phelps The iconography of Manhattan Island 1498-1909 (v. 6)

(New York :  Robert H. Dodd,  1915-1928.)



Jump to page:

Table of Contents

  Page 171  

original grants, and farms


Conveys same property.

Heirs of Noy Willey to Richard Bancker, Deed dated
June 27, jy65.—Liber Deeds, XXXVHI:  65 (New York),

Conveys same property.

This parcel of upland, and Wolphert's meadows, which had
vested in Anthony Rutgers, were thrown into one parcel;
exchanges of land along the boundaries made and the whole
tract mapped as early as 1745, The map, called A map of
Upland and Meadow, has not been found, but a copy of it is in
the files of the Title Guarantee and Trust Co. of N. Y.

The owners pooled their interests. Locs were drawn for by
the members of the syndicate.

In November, 1765, George Janeway, grandson of WiUiam
Janeway, presented a perition to the Mayor et al. of New York,
stating that he "had entered into a Proses at Law for the
Recovery of the Lands," as only heir of his grandfather.
Original MSS. on file in record room, city clerk's office.

This was not entered in the Minutes, because che cicle had
passed from the family.


Block Check List. I098-i264-i257-gg3-9g5-ioi4-io96-

The early history of this farm is Identical with the early
history of the John L. Norton farm.

Jan Vinge, one of the paCencees of the large granc north of
the Great Kill, bought 150 acres from the other members of
the syndicate, as Johannes Van Brugh had done. His farm
lay north of and adjoining Van Brugh's plantation.

Jan Vinge to Jacob Cornelisse Stille. Deed not found
of record;   recited in Liber Deeds, XLII: 27 (New York).

Jacob Cornelissen Stille lived at the Great Kills in 1684.

For Jacob Cornelissen and his descendants, see the N. Y.
Geneal, &? Biog. Rec, Vol. XL, 1876.

Jacob Cornelisse Stille to Wolfert Webbers. Deed
not found of record;  recited in Liber Deeds, XLII:   27.

Srille's daughter, Grietje, married Wolfert Webbers, Oct,
29, 1697,

Arnout Webbers, and Sarah, his wife; Jacob Webbers,
and Margaret, his wife; Frederick Webbers, and Lena,
his wife; Cornelius Webbers and Jannetie, his wife;
Ariante van Arden, late Ariantie Webbers; Altie Somer-
DiCKE, late Aeltie Webbers; and Margaret Webbers, to
Joseph Haynes, Deed dated Oct. 6, 1759.—Liber Deeds,
XLII; 27 (New York). Conveys: "All chat a cercain pare
and parcel of land laid out for one equal fifth part of a patent
formerly granted to Johannes Van Brugh, Thomas Hall, Jan
Vinge, Egbert Wouters and Jacob Leanders [sic] as the same
fifth part was sold by Jan Vinge to Jacob Cornelisse and by
the said Jacob Cornelisse to Wolfert Webbers deceased.
Bounded on the south by the land of Johannes Van Brugh, on
the Norch by the land of Aernout Webbers, on the west by
Hudson River, and on the east by che commons of the city of
New York."

Joseph Haynes had that part of his farm west of the Bloom¬
ingdale Road laid out into three large lots, in 1760, by Fransz
Maerschalck. Recitals In Liber Deeds, XLII: 49. No copy
of this map has been found, but the lots may be easily identi¬

When Haynes bought the property, there was a house on It
which had been builc by Wolferc Webbers. Ic has been pos¬
sible to locate it exactly by a surveyor's description, in che
deed Co Joseph Murray dated Nov. 19, 1748, of the land that
Webbers sold to Murray to straighcen their boundary lines.
That description, printed in Tuttle, Abstracts of Farm Titles,
III: 30, makes Webbers'house a landmark. It stoodjust west
of the road, in the bed of 44th St.

Aug. 5, 1762, Haynes borrowed £1,600 from his wife's sister.
Miss Anne Jevon, giving her a mortgage on che farm as
security.—Liber Mtges., ll; 57 (New York). It may be sur¬
mised that he needed the money to improve the house and farm.

Joseph Haynes died between March 9, 1763, when he made
a codicil to his wiU, and May 9, 1763, when the wiO was pro-
hated.—Liber Wills, XXIV; 22 (New York). He devised his
entire estate to his wife during her life; after her death, one
half of the estate to go to his nieces, Charlotte and Elizabeth
Haynes; the other one half, to his wife's sisters. The codicil
to his wiU provided that Anne Jevon should live with his wife
during her widowhood and in case of his wife's remarriage.
Miss Jevon should have an annuity of £100 yearly. The widow
and Anne Jevon were named executrices. Mrs. Haynes died
about 1768, leaving four surviving sisters, Anne, the wife of
Daniel Horsmanden, Elizabeth, Mary, and Catharine Jevon.
The three Misses Jevon and the two nieces of Haynes seemed to
be then living in England,

Daniel Horsmanden's first wife was the widow of the Rev,
WiUiam Vesey, rector of Trinity Church, The record of his
marriage Co Anne Jevon has not been found. It must have
taken place between 1763 and 1768. Daniel Horsmanden was
born about 1693, in England. A lawyer by profession, he came
to New York about 1730, In 1733, he was called to the pro¬
vincial council. In 1736, he was appointed recorder and, in
1737, he was made judge of che supreme court. Gov. Clinton,
to whom he was politically opposed, suspended him from his
various offices in 1747, but, by 1750, he was restored to the
bench and to his seat in the council. In 1763, he was made
chief justice. After his marriage to Anne Jevon, they lived in
the house which Webbers had builc and Haynes had im¬
proved. Horsmanden's strong Briclsh tendencies induced him
to name the house "Frog Hall."

Aug. 13, 1776, the provincial convention resolved to em¬
power Washington to commandeer a number of houses for use
as army hospitals for the American troops, among others,
"Mr. Horsemanden's, commonly called Frogg Hall."—

Horsmanden, who was an ardent and active royalist, recired
to Flushing, L. L, where he died in September, 1778, at an
advanced age.

Daniel Horsmanden will be best remembered as che au¬
thor of a history of the so called "Negro Plot." He firmly
believed che negroes had conspired, and was ruthless in pun¬
ishing alleged offenders.  See Chronology, 1741.

Daniel Horsmanden and his wife, and the other heirs of
Joseph Haynes, sold lot 2 on the Maerschalck map to John
Reis, Jan. 16, 1771. Lots i and 3 were sold to Medcef Eden,
probably soon after Occ. 14, 1784, when the deed to Haynes,
dated in 1759, was recorded at Mr. Eden's request.—Liber
Deeds, XLII; 27 (New York). The subsequent history of this
farm is clearly set forth in Tutcle, Abstracts of Farm Titles,
Vol. III.

Loc 2 of Haynes is there called the Charles KeUy Tract. Lots
I and 3 formed the Astor and Cutting Trace. EasC of the road
the different small farms are named as the WiUiam Wright
Tract; the Medcef Eden, Jr., Tract; the Tyson and Williams
Tract; the WiUiam L. Rose Tract; and the Thomas Addis
Emmet Tract.

In the history of the farm, in Tuttle, the name of Mrs. Hors¬
manden and her sisters is given as "Sevon." The name is
written "Jevon" in the records.

In 1780, in a deed from the daughter of Jacobus Van Orden
to Thomas Jones, of the north-easterly corner of Van Orden's
farm. Immediately south of "The Hermitage," the Bloomlng¬
dale Road is called "the road leading from New York or the
Bowery, by Frog Hall, to Bloomingdale."—Li^er Deeds, XL;
  Page 171