Ganong, William Francis, A monograph of the place-nomenclature of the province of New Brunswick

([Ottawa : Toronto : London :  J. Durie & Son ; Copp-Clark Co. ; B. Quaritch],  1896.)



Jump to page:

Table of Contents

  Page 261  


occurs also on the Tobique and Magaguadavic.    Perhaps Petitcodiac is
related to it (see).
Patrieville.—S. 1878, (p. 208).   French Patrie == fatherland.
Fawlett, Mount.—'^^^ Mount Pawlett
Pecten Point.—See Mya Point

Peel.—P., 1859. Probably in honour of Jonathan Peel, Secretary of War in England
in that year.   Or possibly in memory of his brother, Sir Robert Peel, English
statesman, who died in 1850.
Peltoma Lake.—Origin uncertain; said locally, and probably correctly, to be for '
an Indian hunter of that name.   Peltoma is Passaiuaquoddy for Pierre Toma,
a common name among them. He was, perhaps, a guide of Mahood's, for the
name occurs first upon a plan of his, of 1836, in its present form.    Also given
to a settlement of 1856 (p. 208).
Pendleton's Island.—For Thomas Pendleton, loyalist, who owned it

In Passamaquoddy TJm-kub-a-hum¥, probably = a bar nearly covered, in?
allusion to the low place between its two high parts. Occurs in a letter of
1780 (Courier, 1.) as Odcobbahommuek.
Pennfield.—P., 1786. Originally Penn's Field; given in memory of William Penn,.
by its first loyalist settlers, who were Pennsylvania Quakers (Courier, Ixxii.)
Penniac Brook.—From the Maliseet Pan-wee^-ok = oipening out or level land;;,
(perhaps the opposite of Po-kee^-ok; see Pokiok). In Munro, 1783, as.

The island called in Munro, Pietetry, is now Peter's Id.
Penobsquis.—R.R. Sta.   A name manufactured by the R.R. surveyors (p. 209)y
for Stone's Brook, near which it is ; from the Maliseet Penobsq^= a stone,
and sips = a brook.   In its present form it is near the Maliseet Penobsques
= a chub, and is sometimes so translated.
Pere, Point ^'Z^—(Bathurst Harbour).   French = Point of the Father, i.e.. Priest
The tradition is that French priests were once buried there; confirmed by
an old plan which reads, " so called from having a French priest buried
here."   Here possibly stood Denys',Fort; on old plans, also, Allen's Pt, for
a Capt. John Allen, who had a grant here in 1770.
Perigny-—Seigniory, 1693;   On Grand Manan.
Perth.—P., 1833.   Origin ?   There is a Perth in Scotland.

Peter's River.—Probably for one Peter Hagerty, who lived there early in the
century, and had a grant at its mouth in 1829 (p. 205). On a plan of 1811 as
R. Pierrau.

In Micmac Ad-wee-gan-eecV.
Petersville.—P., 1838.   Said to be in honour of Hon. Harry Peters, of Gagetown,.

then Speaker of the House of Assembly.
Petitcodiac.— From the Micmac Pet-koat-kwee^-ak.   Rand gives Pet-koot-kwe-ak =
the river bends round in a bow.    There can be no doubt that this is the
correct origin.   It is popularly derived from the French words Petit Coude ='
Little Elbow, referring to the bend at Moncton, though it is not explained
how Coude becomes Codiac; nor did the French use> this form in any of their
records, and, without doubt, it represents the effort of the English to restore
a French form to a word supposed to be of French origin (p, 200).
In a document of 1702 as PScoudiak (Rameau, ii., 335).
In Pote's Journal, 1745, as Pettcochack, applied by mistake to the Wash-
ademoac; on Morris, 1749, as Patcotyeak, and in several documents of 1755;
d'Anville map, Patcoutieuk.   A common spelling in French documents is
  Page 261