An extremely rare early hymnal for the African American Church, this is the
only copy recorded in the national databases. The "Union Church of Africans,"
also called the "African Union Church," was chartered by Peter Spencer
(1782-1843) in Willmington, Delaware in 1813. Now known as the African Union
First Colored Methodist Protestant Church and Connection, usually called the
"A.U.M.P. Church," it is the oldest independent black denomination in the United
States. Although it began as a Methodist Protestant church, by the 1880s it
considered changing to an episcopal structure, a change that was not formally
adopted until 1967 when it consecrated its two leaders as bishops.