With their society connections, Delano and Aldrich were widely known as
architects of urban clubs, such as Manhattan's Union, Knickerbocker, and Colony
Clubs, and country estates, including the Charles Lindbergh and Otto Kahn
residences. They worked extensively at Yale University, Delano's alma mater.
Delano and Aldrich were also responsible for a large-scale renovation of the
White House under Harry Truman. At the end of their career, they designed
airfields for Pan-Am in Florida, Panama, and Guam. The firm received this
commission for the Marine Terminal at LaGuardia in the late 1940s. The terminal
is still the departure gate for the Boston shuttle, and thousands of passengers
walk through this building everyday and admire the decoration.
Avery is the largest repository of drawings of the work of Delano and
Aldrich. The original gift by Delano was in 1951. The next and largest gift,
including over 6,500 drawings and 3,000 photographs, was donated by the estate
of the successor firm headed by Alexander McIlvaine. Subsequent donations of the
drawings of the Knickerbocker, Colony, and Union clubs have come into the
collection in the last several years. Delano's personal papers are at Yale University.