The two volumes of this heavily annotated copy of Homer's works in Greek
belonged to Philip Melanchthon, the chief figure in the Lutheran Reformation
after Martin Luther. Melanchthon used it in his lectures to his pupils in 1518 in
Wittenberg and presented it to Martin Luther, who may also have made some of the
annotations. Melanchthon began teaching at the University of Wittenberg in 1518,
and it was there that he met Luther and formed with him a warm personal
relationship, which, but for the years 1522-1527, lasted until Luther's death.
Melanchthon taught Greek and Latin literature and was a popular lecturer,
frequently drawing more students than the much admired Luther.