Place a Recall
Place a Recall on an item that is checked out to another user. Place Holds only for items that cannot be recalled.
All library borrowers can place recalls. Recalled items are due two weeks from the recall date, or on the original due date, whichever is closer. You will be notified and the item will be held for you for 10 days at the circulation desk of the library you choose for pick up.
There may be more than one recall request placed on the same item. Multiple requests for the same item will be processed in the order received, and in such instances, each requestor will be allowed to borrow the book for a two week period.
You will not be able to place a request if your borrowing privileges have been suspended for any reason.
The following items may not be requested:
- items currently on reserves
- items that do not circulate
- items that circulate for less than two weeks
- items that are not checked out
HOW TO PLACE A RECALL REQUEST
(Place Holds only for items that cannot be Recalled)
Search for the item in CLIO. If the CLIO records shows that the item is checked out, follow the steps below to place your request.
||Click the "Place a Recall/Hold" link in the right sidebar.
||Log in using your UNI and password.
Select "Place a Recall" or "Place a Hold" from the box at the foot of the screen and click "OK."
- A RECALL will generate a notice asking the current borrower to return the item in 14 days or by the current due date, whichever comes first.
- A HOLD will not generate a notice to the current borrower, but will prevent the item from being renewed. Note: If you place a Hold and another person places a subsequent Recall, their recall will take precedence over your hold.
- You may not place a request on an item that is not checked out.
||Select "Any Copy" or the specific copy.
Selecting "Any Copy" will place a request on all copies of the item if more than one copy exists and all are checked out. Selecting a particular copy will place the request only on the selected copy.
||Select the circulation desk of the library where you would like to pick up the item. IF NO SELECTION IS MADE, THE RECALLED ITEM WILL BE DELIVERED TO THE BUTLER CIRCULATION DESK. This selection cannot be changed once your request is submitted. Some material (e.g., music scores and recordings) can only be delivered to the owning library.
||Indicate the time after which the item will no longer be needed (default is 30 days). If you are placing a HOLD, change the default to extend through the due date.
||Click on the "Submit" button.
Log in to My Account
to check the status of pending requests or to cancel a request.
ALTERNATIVES TO RECALL
Use Borrow Direct or Interlibrary Loan to request materials that are unavailable or not owned by the Libraries.
If you would like further
assistance, Ask a
Librarian for help.