K. Maheswaran Nair (University of Kerala)
updated: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:23:43 +0530
Professor of Sanskrit & Director
Centre for Vedanta Studies
University of Kerala
Trivandrum, 695 581 INDIA
phones: 91/471-2726795 (Residence)
Description of work:
1. Area of Specialisation Sanskrit Special (Vedanta)
2.(a) Research Degree - Ph.D. in Sanskrit
(b) Topic of Research Advaitasiddhi-A Study
3. Other Degrees
1. M.A.Sanskrit Special - First Class First Rank
2. M.A.Russian Language & Literature - First Class
4. Teaching Experience 35 years of Post-graduate teaching
5. Research Experience 30 years of Research
6.(a)Research Guiding Experience 11 years of Research Guidance
(b) Ph.D. produced 11
(c) M.Phil produced 26
(d) Ph.D.Research being guided 10
(e) M.Phil research being guided 3
7. Achievements (Specific) (a) He is known as a discussant and orator
especially in Sanskrit.(for his one hour MP3 Sanskrit lecture visit
(b)He is well-versed in the traditional Vakyarthavicara
(c)He writes poems in Sanskrit and has read them at Poets'
meet and also on AIR.
8. Languages known
9. Published works
(a) Books in English 2
(b) Books in Sanskrit 1
(c) Books in Malayalam 8
(d) Books edited 8
(e) Collections to which contributed- 5
(f) Collections to which contributed- 8
(g) Articles published in approved 12
journals in English, Sanskrit
(h) Articles published in other journals 50
10. Countries visited
11. Medals won
1. Mancomp Aundy Iyer Gold Medal
2. Principal N.Gopala Pillai Gold Medal
3. Dr.K.K.Nambiar Gold Medal.
12. Prizes won 1. Thuncan Prize of the Kerala Sahitya Academy in 1973.
2.Narayaneeyam Prize of the Guruvayoor Devaswom in 1982.
3. Narayaneeyam Prize again in 1984.
4. Hemalathasmaraka Chattambiswami Puraskaram 1999
5. Vidyadhiraja Grantharacana Puraskaram 2000
13. List of Publications
(a) Books in English
1. Advaitasiddhi- A Critical Study along with a foreword by Dr. Asoke
Chatterjee Sastri, Professor and Head of the Department of
Sanskrit,Calcutta University, 1990.
2. Advaitavedanta, Dialectics and Indian Philosophy,foreword by E.M.S.,
3. Manuscriptology,foreword by Dr.N.P.Unni,1998.
(b) Books in Sanskrit
Aisvari commentary on Krishnayajvan's Mimamsaparibhasha which is
text book for the degree courses in Sanskrit of the University of
(c) Books in Malayalam
1. Somayagam Enthu Enthinu ?
2. Arshasamskaravum Hinduvargiyatayum (two editions)
3. Srinarayanaguru, Matam, Marxism.(two editions)
4. Marxum Bharatavalkaranavum.
5. Matam, Matamaulikatavadam , Vargiyata.
6. Chattampiswamikal: Jivitavum Krtikalum.
7. Srinarayanante matavum Sivagiriyum.
8. Yagasamskaravum Marxisavum, 2006
(d) Collections in which papers appear
1. Collection of Abstracts of the Indian Philosophical Congress, 64th
1989, A Brief Note on the Comparison of Marxism and the Concept
2. Collection of Abstracts of the Indian Philosophical Congress, 65th
1990, p,104., Adrsta and Apurva in Indian Philosophy.
3. Collection of Abstracts of the 8th World Sanskrit Conference, 1990.,
p.not given. The Adhikarana Method and the Concept of Triad: A
4. Kalyanamitra: Professor Hajima Nikamura Felicitation Volume,1991.
pp.187-194., On Counterpositing Realism and Idealism.
5. Vision of Vedanta and Modern Science for National
Integration,Collection of articles published by the University of Kerala
(Centre for Vedanta Studies)1992,Visistadvaita of Ramanuja.
1. Thunchan Prabandhangal, collection of Articles published by the Kerala
Sahitya Academy, 1976, First edition, Vol.II, pp.155-244, and 1985 second
edition, pp.271-314., Ramakathasahityam Malayalattil.
2. Ramayanasamskaram, 1983., pp 42-50., and 126-128, two articles.
3. Matangalute Rastriyam,1987., pp95-114.,Vargiyatayum
4. Samskrtasahityacaritam Vol.I., published by the Kerala Sahitya
Academy, 1990., pp.80-112., two articles.
5. Sankaradarsanam: Prasanangalum Prasaktiyum, 1990., pp.7-16 and 123-149
6. Bharatavijnanakosam, Vol.I & Vol.II., 1990., a few articles.
7. Sankaradarsanam Marxist Veeksanathil, 1990, pp.9-25., Visvadarsanapit
8. Yajnasamskaram Caritravum Vimarsanavum, 1992., pp. 12-37.,
Yajnasamskara punasthapikkanulla sramam.
9. Keraliyanavothanavum Matanavikarana Samuhikanavikaranaprasthanangalum,
10. Visvaguru-A Book on Srinarayanaguru,1998,pp310-316,Guruvinte
(e) Books Edited
1. Vyaktittvattinte Sithilikaranam, edited with notes the translation of
Maxim Gorky's book, 1988.
2. Daksinendian Sangeetam,A.K.Ravindranath, edited for the Department of
Cultural Publications of the Govt. of Kerala, 1989.
3. Srisankaracaryar, Dr.K.Kunjunni Raja, edited as above, 1989.
4. Mahakavi Vallattol, Vol.II., Prof.C.K.Moosad, edited as above,1989.
5. Svati Thirunal, Dr.Suranad P.N.Kunjan Pillai, edited as above,1989.
6. Yajnasamskaram, Caritravum Vimarsanavum,1992.
7. Adibhasa of Chattampi Swamikal- found out the manuscript, edited and
8.Sankarasmrti or Laghudharmaprakasika, 2002
(f) Articles Published in approved journals
1. Sastriyabhautikavadah, Journal of Manuscript Studies, University of
Kerala, Vols.XXIX., and XXX, 1989-90.
2. Bharatenduh, Purnatrayi Half Yearly, Govt. Sanskrit College,
Trippunithura, Jan-July, 1991.
1. Thuncan krtikalum Kannassakrtikalum Pracinakairali, University of
Kerala (Manuscripts Library), Vols.I & II, 1979.
2. Manusmritiyum Satiyum, Mathrubhumi Weekly, Jan. 17-23, 1988.
3. Visvadarsanapaitrkathinu Srisankarante Sambhavana, Samskarakeralam
Quarterly, Govt. of Kerala, Jan-March, 1989.
4. Advaitadarsanattinte Innatte Prasakti, Samskarakeralam Quarterly,
Govt.of Kerala, April-June, 1989.
5. Bhavavum Rupavum,Sahityalokam, Kerala Sahitya Academy, Jan-Feb.,1989.
6. Bhasayum Sahityavum Thuncan Krtikalilum Kannassakrtikalilum, Pracina
kairali, University of Kerala, (Manuscripts Library) Vol.XXIII,
7. Natozhiyunna Natanmozhikalum Natan Cittakalum, Vijnanakairali, Kerala
Bhasha Institute, July, 1990.
(g) In other journals etc.
He has published more than fifty articles in different journals,
periodicals and special issues. These articles deal with topics ranging
from the most ancient period to the present day.
14. Innovations/Contributions in Teaching
(a)Design of curriculum
1. He has designed on modern scientific lines a new method for teaching
āSanskrit. It is on the model of the book
Russian' by Wagner and Ovsienko.
2 . He has written a commentary called Aisvari on the Mimamsaparibhasa of
Krsnayajvan which is a text book for the Degree courses in Sanskrit of
the University of Kerala.
(c)Preparation of resource material including books,reading materials,
3. As required by the Institute of Correspondance Courses of the
University of Kerala he has made a handbook for the Srikrsnavilasam text
prescribed for the Sanskrit paper of M.A. Malayalam courses.
15. (a) Membership of Proffesional Bodies,Societies etc.
(i) Member of the Indian Institute of Natural Therapeutics,Pudukkottai.
(ii) Previously Member of the Advisory Committee of the Department of
Cultural Publications of the Government of Kerala.
(iii) Previously Director and Executive Director of the Kerala
University Co-operative Society Ltd., No. 1955.
(iv) Life Member of Indian Philosophical Congress.
(v) Life Member of the Dravidian Linguistic Association Of India.
(vi) Life Member of the Centre for Inter-discipline Studies (INDIS)
(vii) Member of the All India Oriental Conference.
(viii) Founder President of Samskrtasangham,Trivandrum.
(ix) Founder Director of M.S.Devadas Centre for Cultural
(b) Editorship of Journal:
He has been Editor for nearly one year at the Department of Cultural
Publications of the Govt. of Kerala on deputation. He edited the
Samskarakeralam, Quarterly Journal of the Department.
(c) Membership of Academic Bodies etc.
(i) He is member of the Oriental Faculty of the University of Kerala.
(ii) He is member of the Post Graduate Board of Studies in Sanskrit of
the University of Kerala.
(iii) He was member of the Post Graduate Board of Studies in Indian
Metaphysics of the SriSankaracarya University of
(iv) He is member of the Doctoral Committes of various Universities.
(v) He is M.Phil. and P.G. examiner of various Universities.
(vi) He is member of the Ph.D. and D.Litt. Adjudication Committees of
various Universi ties.
(vii) He is member of the Selection Committees for teachers of various
16. Distinguished Participation in Seminars etc.
1. He was Chair Person of the Law and Soceity session of the VIIIth World
Sanskrit Conference held at the University Of Vienna, Austria in 1990.
2. He was symposiast at the 65th session of the Indian Philosophical
Congress held at Madurai Kamaraj University, TamilNadu, in 1990.
3. He was President of the Logic and Scientific Method Section of the
session of Indian Philosophical Congress to be held at the University of
Kerala in 1993.
17. Lectures delivered abroad
(1) He was selected by the U.G.C. for visit of Romania under the Cultural
Exchange Programme of the Govt. of India and visited Romania in 1999. He
delivered lectures in the following Universities in Romania:
(a) Bucharest University
(b) Lucian Blaga University, Sibiu
(c) Al-I-Cuza University, Iasi
(d) Valahia University, Targoviste
(2) He visited Belgium on the invitation of the Catholic University of
Louvain, Brussels and delivered lectures at the Institute of Indology of
3. He was invited by the European Humanities University, Minsk, Belarus in
1999-2000 to give a rapid course in Sanskrit to Bylorussian students at
the University and he successfully did it in about one month.
4.He was awarded with the Shivadasani Fellowship of the Oxford Centre for
Hindu Studies and visited Oxford from 15/1/2005 to 15/3/2005, gave
lectures and seminars.
18. Some of the articles published in periodicals other than those
1.Article - Samskrtavrttangal Malayalattil,Thankttalam,1975
2. Article - Poovanpazhangal, Kumkumam Weekly, 1976.
3. Article - Oru Mayamugdhante Kalayum Pratyayasastravum, Deshabhimani
4. Article - Ekatmajayatnam, KPTU Sandesam, 1984.
5. Article - Altiyantadhunikomte Atmahatyadarsanam, Chinta Mayday Special,
6. Article - Viplavaprasthanathinte Anikallu, Kerala University Employees
Union News Bulletin Annual, 1985.
7. Article - Bharadvajamuniyute Vaimanikasastram, Yuvadhara Monthly, 1985.
8. Article - Bharatiyabhautikavadam, Bulletin of Calicut, University
Employees Union, 15th Anniversary Special, 1985.
9. Article - Keralathile School thal apathapusthakangalum
desiyodgrathanavum, KPTU Souveniur, 1985.
10. Article - Varunan, Eureka Monthly, 1985.
11. Article - Agni, Eureka Monthly, 1985.
12. Article - Sari Athum Manusmrtiyum, Chintha Weekly Special Issue, 1985.
13. Article - Randamoozhavum Vayalar Awardum, Secratariat Service, 1986.
14. Article - Tattvamasivimarsanam, Deshabhimani Weekly, 1986.
15. Article - Atamakathayum Sthalanamavum, Deshabhimani Weekly, 1986.
16. Article - Attyantadhunikasahityakaranum Communisavum I, Chinlaka
17. Article - Attyantadhunikasahityakaranum Communisavum II, Chinlaka
18. Article - Kaprayute Vedantam, Sangham Education Special Issue, 1986.
19. Article - Manusyuatvavum matavum jatiyum, ORA Monthly, June, 1987.
20. Article - Pthiya Arivum Manushyarasiyum, Ushus Special Issue, 1988.
21. Article - Kshetravimocanasamaravum chila Yatharthyangalum,
22. Article - Sastram, Darshanam, Sastradarshanam, Marxism, Panchamam
23. Article - Mayavadam Sastriyabhautikavadathinte drishtiyil,
Deshabhimani Weekly, 1989.
24. Article - Yagasamskaravum Chattambiswamikalum, Sanghasahityam, 1989.
25. Article - Hinduvum Kshetrabharanavum, Kizhvazhakkavum
Vargiyasankalpavum, Chintha Weekly, 1990.
26. Article - Desiyabodham Valarthuka, BEFI Staff Union News, 1991.
27. Article - Dr.Radhakrishnanum Marxisavum, Deshabhimani Weekly, 1991.
28. Article - Chattambiswamikal, CSM Nagar Residents' Association
29. Article - Srinarayanaguruvinte Jatiyum, Matavum, Daivavum, 1995.
30. Article - Srinarayanaguruvinte Krtikal, Deshabhimani Daily,1996.
31. Article - Sivagiriyute Gauravam, Deshabhimani Daily, 1997.
32. Article - Matanirapeksatayum Gurudevadarsanavum, Gurudevan Monthly,
33. Article - Atmopadeasatakam oru Sastragrantham, Gurudevan Monthly,
34. Article - Izhavasivavakyatteppatti, Gurudevan Monthly, 2000.
1. Article - Champion of Class Distinction,Blitz,1984.
1. Article - Samskrtarusibhashayoh Parasparasambandhah, Govt.Sanskrit
College Magazine, 1977-78.
2. Article - Anuvadavijnanabhoomika, Govt.Sanskrit College Magazine,
36. Talks,Presentation of Drama etc.
1. Adapted and scripted a play based on Tagore's "Post Office" and was
aired on AIR.(1982)
2. Adapted and presented the Sanskrit play "Mricchakatikam" on AIR.(1983)
3. Delivered talk on the "Rituals of the Vedic age" on AIR. (1984)
4. Adapted and presented Sanskrit play "Malatimadhavam" on AIR.(1984)
5. Adapted and presented Sanskrit play "Ajnatavasam" on AIR.(1985)
6. Adapted and presented Sanskrit play "Draupadivijayam" on AIR. (1985)
7. Adapted and presented Sanskrit play "Urubhangam" on AIR. (1986)
8. Delivered talk on Allegory in Prabodhachandrodaya on AIR. (1989)
9. Delivered talk on Quintessence of Indian Philosophy on AIR (1990)
10. Delivered talk on Samskrtamahakavyam on AIR. (1990)
11. Delivered talk on Bharatiyabhautikavada on AIR (1995)
12. Delivered talk on Bauddhadarsanam on AIR (1995)
13. Delivered talk on Influence of Sanskrit on Indian Languages on AIR
37. Reviews, Letters etc.
1. Aksharathinte Rashtriyam, Deshabhimani Daily, 1991.
2. Kerala Sarkarinte Samskarikarangatte Pravartanam Bharatattinake Matrka,
ORA Monthly, 1991.
3. Bhagavadgithayodulla Marxist Sameepanam, Deshabhimani Weekly, 1989.
4. Vargiyatayepatti, Mathrubhoomi Weekly, 1991.
5. Srinarayanaguruvum Purogatiyum, Mathrubhoomi Weekly, 1984.
6. Atombombukal, Janayugam Weekly, 1975.
7. Bauddhasiddhantam, Satyavum Mithyayumm, Deshabhimani Daily, 1996.