Muttukrishna Sarvananthan (University of Wales)
submitted: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:03:28 GMT0BST
Mr. Muttukrishna Sarvananthan
Centre for Development Studies
University of Wales Swansea
Swansea, Wales, UK, SA2 8PP
03, Somasundaram Road
Off Station Road
Wellawatte, Colombo, SRI LANKA 00600
phones: 44-1792-526807 (UK)
94-1-580422 (Sri Lanka)
fax: 44-1792-295682 (UK)
94-1-580422 (Sri Lanka).
description of work:
I am a PhD Research Student at the Centre for Development
Studies, University of Wales Swansea, UK. My research is on
Contraband Trade (Smuggling) between India and Sri Lanka
which I may complete by Summer 1999.
My Educational qualifications are as follows :
B.A. (Hons) Economics (Delhi) 1983-86 ;
M.Sc. (Econ) in Economic Development (Salford) 1987-88 ;
M.Sc. in Development, Administration and Planning (Bristol) 1990-91.
My Work experience as follows :
1. I have worked as a Consultant to the "Agricultural Planning and
Analysis Project" at the Department of National Planning, Ministry of
Finance and Planning, Government of Sri Lanka, from September 1992 to
December 1994. The main work involved contributions to the formulation of
a medium-term (1995-2004) National and Provincial Agricultural
Strategies. My contributions to the National strategy included (i)
Macro-Economic Outlook, (ii) Land and Land-use pattern in Sri Lanka and
(iii) Tea sub-sector strategy. My contribution to the provincial
strategy was formulation of the "Agricultural Growth and Restructuring
Strategy" for the Southern Province of Sri Lanka
2. I have also worked as a Consultant to the Institute of Agriculture and
Women-in-Development (IAWID - a NGO in Sri Lanka) on a project entitled
"The Impact of Civil Conflict on Gender and Resource Distribution, Gender
Roles and Attitudes in the Sri Lankan Tamil Community" during 1993-94
3. I was a Summer Intern at the World Bank during the Summer 1996 (three
months) in the Indonesia Policy and Operations Division, Country
Department III, East Asia and Pacific Region. My job involved undertaking
a literature survey on "Poverty and Inequality in Asia" and compiling an
Annotated Bibliography. This was published in the Indonesia Discussion
My mother tongue is Tamil in which I have an excellent Spoken and Written
command. I have also an excellent command of the English language.
Besides I can speak (only) Sinhala and Hindi languages.
1. "Contraband Trade and Unofficial Capital Transfers between
Sri Lanka and India", Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XXIX.
No.30, July 23, 1994, pp 1948-56.
2. Co-Author, Women, Transition and Change : A Study of
the Impact of Conflict and Displacement on Women in
Traditional Tamil Society, Jointly published by the Institute
of Agriculture and Women-in-Development, Friedrich Ebert
Stiftung and Gala Academic Press, Colombo, 1995.
3. Poverty and Inequality in Asia : A Survey of Recent
Literature and Research Agenda, Indonesia Discussion Paper
Series No.6, EA3 IP Department, The World Bank, February
1997, Washington. DC. Reproduced in Sri Lanka Economic
Journal, Vol.10. No.2, September 1997.
4. Co-Author, "Gender, Poverty and Thesawalamai Law" (Tamil),
Nivedini (a feminist journal of Sri Lanka), Vol. 4. No.2,
December 1997, pp 7-24. (English), Nethra (a journal of the
International Centre for Ethnic Studies, Sri Lanka), Vol. 2.
No.1, Sep-Dec 1997.
5. "Theories of Contraband Trade", Sri Lanka Economic Journal,
Vol. 11. No.1, April 1998.
6. "An Assessment of the Technical Contraband Trade and
Capital between India and Sri Lanka (forthcoming).
7. "An Assessment of the Physical Contraband Trade and
Capital between India and Sri Lanka" (forthcoming).
General Research Interests.
1. Economic Development of the Third World.
2. Sri Lankan Economy.
3. India's Economic Relations with Neighbouring Countries.
4. Gender Issues.
5. Gender and Development.
6. Contraband Trade (Smuggling).
7. Economics of Tamil Nationalism in Sri Lanka.
8. Women Liberation Tigresses.
9. Poverty / Inequality.