J. P. Singh (Patna University)
submitted: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:16:06 +0530
Prof. J. P. Singh
Department of Sociology
Patna 800 005 INDIA
25-Ram Krishna Path
Patna 800 013 INDIA
Description of work:
J P Singh is Professor at the Postgraduate Department of Sociology, Patna
University, Patna (Bihar). Earlier he held the post of Reader (Associate
Professor) in Research Methodology at the Tata Institute of Social
Sciences, Mumbai. He holds MA and MPhil degrees in Sociology from Patna
University, Patna and J N U, New Delhi respectively, and further obtained
PhD in Demography from the Australian National University, Canberra. He
held the UNDP Fellowship at the Institute of Social Studies, Hague
(Netherlands), 1989-90 and awarded Professional Associateship of the
Institute of Population Studies, East-West Center, Hawaii in 1991 and
1996. During the three decades of his academic career he has published
over 50 research papers in books and professional journals. His major
works include Patterns of Rural-Urban Migration in India, The Indian
Women: Myth and Reality (ed.) and Studies in Social Demography (ed.).
Areas of professional interest and specialization:
Demography, Urban Studies, Migration, Sociology of Development, Political
Sociology, Gender Studies, etc.
List of publications:
1. 'The Contemporary Indian Family', in Bert N. Adams and Jan Trost
(Eds.), Handbook of World Families, California: Sage Publications Inc.,
2. 'Nuclearization of Household and Family in Urban India',
Sociological Bulletin, Vol. 52(1), March 2003: 53-70.
3. 'The State of Universal Education in India', Journal of
Educational Planning and Administration, Vol XVI (4), October 2002:
4. 'Health for all in Rural India', Man and Development, Vol. XXIV(3),
September 2002: 49-64.
5. 'Patterns of Rural Habitations in India', Man and Development, Vol.
XXIV(1), March 2002: 81-88.
6. 'Social and Cultural Aspects of Gender Inequality and
Discrimination in India', Asian Profile, Vol. 30(2), April 2002: 163-176.
7. 'Urbanization of Family in India', The Eastern Anthropologist, Vol 55
(1), January-March 2002.
8. 'Changing Village, Family Structure and Fertility Behavior:
Evidence from India', International Journal of Contemporary Sociology
(USA), Vol. 38 (2), October 2001: 229-248.
9. 'Sociology of Gender Inequality and Discrimination', Guru Nanak
Journal of Sociology, Vol. 22(1), October 2001: 73-98.
10. 'Caste and Morphology of Rural Settlement', Eastern
Anthropologist, Vol. 54 (2), 2001: 154-165.
11. 'Urbanization and Urban Growth in India: Emerging Patterns and
Issues', Nagarlok, Vol. XXXIII (4), October-December 2001: 1-18.
12. 'Challenges of Rural Development in India', Social Change, Vol. 31
(4), December 2001: 8-20.
13. 'The State of Education in Rural India: Problems and Prospects',
Social Change, Vol. 31(3), September 2001: 1-19.
14. 'Indian Democracy and Empowerment of Women', The Indian Journal of
Public Administration, Vol XLVI (4), 2000: 617-630.
15. 'The Caste System: A Cultural Construction of Deprivation and
Exploitation', Social Sciences Research Journal, Vol. 8 (3), 2000: 1-20.
16. 'Village Development in India: Imperfect Past and Tense Future',
Man and Development, Vol. XXVII (2), 2000: 8-21.
17. 'The State of Development in Rural India: An Overview',
Kurukshetra, June, 2000: 12-18.
18. 'Peopling of Bihar: Problems and Prospects', Demography India,
Vol. 27(2), 1998: 353-367.
19. 'A Technical Note on Index of Migration Differentials', Genus
(Rome), Vol. XLVIII, 1-2, 1992: 217-221.
20. 'Ecology, Development and Population Crisis in Bihar' in K.
Mahadevan et al. (Eds.), Ecology, Development and Population Problem:
Perspective from India, China and Australia, Delhi: B. R. Publishing
Corporation, 1992: 235-59.
21. 'Migration in India: A Review', Asian and Pacific Migration
Journal (Manila), Vol. 1 (1), 1991: 168-92.
22. 'Age and Sex Differentials in Migration in India', Canadian
Journal of Population Studies, 1988, 15 (1): 87-99.
23. 'Marital Status Differentials in Rural to City Migration in
India', Sociological Bulletin, Vol 34 (1-3), 1985: 69-87.
24. 'The Changing Household Structure in Bihar, Kerala and West
Bengal', Demography India, Vol. 14 (1), 1985: 34-48.
25. 'A Regional Analysis of Internal Migration in India', Asian
Profile (Hong Kong), Vol. 13 (5), 1985: 409-24.
26. 'Conditions for the Rise of Nationalist Movement in India', Asian
Profile (Hong Kong), Vol. 13 (1), 1985: 45-60.
27. 'The Changing Household Size in India', Journal of Asian and
African Studies (The Hague), Vol. 19 (1-2) 1984: 86-95.
28. 'Distance Patterns of Rural to Urban Migration in India', Genus
(Rome), Vol. 40 (1-2): 1984: 119-29.
29. 'Social and Cultural Considerations of Sterilization: A Case Study
of Patna', Demography India, 12(1), 1983: 74-85.
30. 'Urbanization of a Developing Region: A Demographic Perspective'
in M. N. Karna (Ed.), Studies in Bihar's Economy and Society, New Delhi:
Concept Publishing Co., 1981: 87-103.
31. 'Population Mobility in India: Studies and Prospects',
Sociological Bulletin, Vol. 29(1), 1980: 33-62.
32. 'Demographic Aspect of the System of the Growth of Cities', The
Indian Journal of Social Work, Vol. 38(4), 1978: 307-23.
[ Bihar ]