M. W. Amarasiri de Silva (University of Peradeniya)
updated: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:58:27 +0600
M. W. Amarasiri de Silva, PhD
Professor of Sociology
Department of Sociology
Fasculty of Arts
University of Peradeniya
13/B2/12/4, Hantana Housing Complex
Kandy, Sri Lanka
phones: 94/81-2218620 (residence)
Description of work:
Teaching: medical anthropology, applied sociology, research methodology
both at graduate and undergraduate levels.
Research interests: social and behavioural aspects of health and
medicine, community and village studies, urban studies.
Selected list of publications:
1. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva, Transition from War to Peace: A Sociological
study to facilitate social reconstruction process in the war-torn areas of
North and East of Sri Lanka. 9th International Conference on Sri Lankan
Studies, 28th- 30th November 2003, University of Ruhuna, Matara, Sri
2. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva, Maternal Mortality in the Central Province of
Sri Lanka: Sociological analysis of lay perspectives. Peradeniya
University Research Sessions (PURSE), 2003.
3. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva, Technological Transformation and old age in a
fishing community in southern Sri Lanka., Samaja Vimasuma 2003, (in
4. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva, Judy Lewis, Pertti J. Pelto. (2002)Food
Gifts, Kinship and Weight Gain during Pregnancy in Rural Sri Lanka. The
Sri Lanka Journal of the Humanities, Volumes XXVII & XXVIII (Numbers 1 &
2) 2001-2002, Pp 38-58, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
5. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva (2002) Evaluation Report: Mannar and the Three
Clinics projects. November 2002. DFID, London.
6. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva. Social Facts, Forces and Conditions Requiring
Consideration in Drafting the National Physical Plan of Sri Lanka. The
Centre for National Physical Planning, Colombo, 2001
7. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva, Ananda Wijekoon, Robert Hornik, Jose
(2001) Care-seeking in Sri Lanka: One possible explanation for the low
Childhood Mortality (Social Science and Medicine. Vol. 53/10, pp
8. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva Research Methodology in Social Sciences (in
Sinhala). Author Publication. 2001, pp235. ISBN 955-97602-0-3
9. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva Reproductive Health among Internally Displaced
Persons of Sri Lanka (IDPs-SL). The Marie Stopes International, London
August 2000. Pp 135 + appendices.
10. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva Poverty Profile of Colombo Core Area. Report
on urban poverty in the three Municipalities of Colombo, Dehiwala & Mt.
Lavenia and Kotte. City Development Strategies (CDSs) for Colombo Core
Area. UNCHS (Habitat) Japan June 2000.
11. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva Impact of Middle East employment of young
women / mothers on Internally Displaced Populations (IDPs) in the
North-Western Province. The Ministry of Women's Affairs Colombo. December
12. H. A. Aponso and M. W. Amarasiri de Silva Evaluation of the Nutrition
Supplement Programme (biscuit Programme) in the four districts of
Ratnapura, Monaragala, Badulla Hambantota. The Presidential task Force on
Nutrition and Ministry of Plan Implementation. Aug 2000.
13. WHO (1999) Development of Tools to Promote Improved care Seeking.
Department of Child and Adolescent Health, WHO (WHO/FCH/CAH/99.3).
Amarasiri de Silva was a principal Investigator of this report, along with
14. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva Some Socio-political Implications of Internal
Displacement of Populations (IDPs) in Sri Lanka. Paper presented at the
7th Sri Lanka Studies Conference, Canberra, Australia. Dec. 3-6 1999
15. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva and A.S.B. Wijekoon 1999 Improving Health
Seeking Behaviour for IMCI in Kurunegala, Central Province, Sri Lanka,
WHO, Geneva, 1999. WHO-Geneva and CICHS-Kandy 1999. PP 125 + appendix
16. Nastasi, B., Schensul, J., de Silva M.W.Amarasiri., Varjas. K., Silva,
K.T., Ratnayake, P. and Schensul, S. (1998). Community-based Sexual Risk
Prevention Program for Sri Lanka: Influencing Sexual Risk Decision-Making.
International Quarterly of Community Health Education, 18(1) 139-155,
17. Miguel Munoz-Laboy, Stephen L. Schensul and M. W. Amarasiri de Silva.
Male to male Sexuality and Sexual Initiation in Sri Lanka. Paper presented
at the conference on "Unequal Partnerships: Gender and Initiation of
Sexual Activity." Bethesda, Maryland, USA. PP 46. June 25-26, 1998.
18. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva, P. Wedisinghe, Jean J. Schensul, and S.L.
Schensul First Sexual Experience and its Context in Sri Lanka. Paper
presented at the conference on "Unequal Partnerships: Gender and
Initiation of Sexual Activity." Center on Population, Gender & Social
Inequality, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, USA. PP 17.
June 25-26, 1998.
19. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva, K.N. Mendis, Athula Herath, Richard Carter
and Senerath Bandara. Bed Nets, Malaria Incidence and sleeping behaviours
in an endemic area of Sri Lanka. Multi-Disciplinary International
Conference on the Occasion of 50th Anniversary of Independence of Sri
Lanka, Section -E, Economy and Society in Post-Independence Sri Lanka.
University of Peradeniya, February 23-25, 1998.
20. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva Women in Poverty: Findings from a study of
rural, urban and estate communities in the Central Province of Sri Lanka.
The Women's Bureau of Colombo, Sri Lanka, 1998.
21. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva and K.B.S. Wanninayake. De-stigmatising the
Name or Moving up in the Caste Ladder: Name Changes among the Sinhalese.
In. University of Peradeniya, Annual Research Sessions, Edited by B.R.R.N.
Mendis, M.A. Careem and S.D.S. Seneviratne, November 1997, pp. 23-39.
22. M. W. A. de Silva, K.N. Mendis and Athula Herath. Effects of material
style of life and malaria knowledge on the use of bed nets to control
malaria in Kataragama SLAAS proceedings, (F18: pp 237)1996.
23. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva and K.A. Jayaratne (Eds.) Participatory
Research in Urban Asia. The Asian Coalition for Housing Rights, Habitat
International Coalition - Asia. Pp. 78. ACHR-TAP, Bangkok 1995
24. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva and U.M.G. Ariyasena. The Role of University
Academics in Nutrition and Development in Sri Lanka. In. "Nutrition and
Development: What Roles Can Academic Institutes Play?" Los Banos, the
25. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva. Folk technology and Language of the
Traditional Fishermen (Sinhala) In Samaja Vimasuma. Journal of the
Sociological Association, Department of Sociology, University of
Peradeniya. 1994/95 issue, No.9 pp22-45.
26. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva. Social aspects of Epilepsy in Sri Lanka (in
Sinhala) Samaja Vimasuma 1987.
27. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva, Vijitha Nanayakkara. Growing up with the
Falling Sickness. An evaluation of the Research Project 'People's
participation in an epilepsy control programme in Kandy District, Sri
Lanka. The Christian Association for Epilepsy Control and Care in the
Netherlands. (70 pages) 1986.
28. M. W. Amarasiri de Silva. Structural Change in a Coastal Fishing
Community in Southern Sri Lanka. Marga Journal - Vol. 4, No: 2. The
Agricultural Development Council (A/D/C) in its series on Teaching and
research Forum later reproduced this paper (no: 21, May 1979).