This information is subject to change. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Registrar's Directory of Classes.
Note that enrollment in language courses is determined in some cases by placement examinations. See Languages for details, and consult the pages on specific languages, such as Arabic for further information. Language courses must be taken for a letter grade. Pass/Fail or Registration credit (R) is not permitted.
Course Numbering System
- 1000 and 2000: Undergraduate-level courses. Introductory and intermediate language courses are numbered at the 1000 level.
- 3000: Advanced undergraduate courses.
- 4000: Courses for graduate students and, in some cases, advanced undergraduates.
- 6000 and higher: Graduate-level courses; some 8000- and 9000-level courses are reserved for Ph.D. students only.
The following course designators appear in abbreviated form:
- MDES (Designator for all MESAAS courses that are not cross listed)
- AHUM (Asian Humanities)
- ASCM (Asian Civilizations-MESAAS)
- CLME (Comparative Literature-MESAAS)
- HSME (History-MESAAS)
- ANME (Anthropology-MESAAS)
For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Registrar's Directory of Classes.