Columbia University is open today, Thursday, September 18th, and plans to be open on Friday, September 19th. University officials are watching the weather conditions carefully and understand that the local impact of Hurricane Isabel is likely to be less than originally expected. However, we do want to remind you of the available resources and ask that you take certain precautions should the weather change.
- Visit the Columbia University homepage for updates on University operations when major weather or other events occur that might affect the opening or closing of the University.
- Call the Columbia University main information line at 212-854-1754, where a recorded announcement regarding any changes in the opening or closing status of the University will be available if the need arises.
- To report an emergency on the Morningside Campus call Security at 212-854-5555 (from off- campus) or dial 99 (on campus).
- To report an emergency on the Health Sciences Campus call 212-305-7300
- To report an emergency on the Lamont Campus call 845-359-2900
- To report an emergency on the Nevis Campus call the Irvington Police at 914-591-8080
- Please reserve these calls for true emergencies.
- Make sure your windows are closed and electronic devices like computers are shut down, when expecting severe weather.
- Keep the numbers for Columbia University information and security in a known location.
- Bookmark the Columbia University homepage on your browser.
- Let those you would want to contact in case of an emergency know about these resources.
Although the University is fully prepared to deal with severe weather, such as Hurricane Isabel, following the above suggestions will help you prepare for such an event should the need arise.