Columbia's Advisory Committee on Socially Responsible Investing will hold a community hearing on Wednesday, November 12, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., in Room 101 of Greene Hall at the Law School (435 West 116th Street). Students, faculty, alumni and staff of Columbia University, and other appropriate individuals, are invited to present their views on the University's ethical and social responsibilities as an investor.
The Advisory Committee welcomes comments and looks forward to hearing from all members of the University community. The hearing will be conducted as follows:
- The chair of the Committee will preside.
- Speakers may address the Committee for a maximum of five minutes each.
- Speakers are asked to focus their comments on the issue(s) of concern and to recommend, in his or her opinion, the action(s) to be taken.
- Speakers are also invited to submit written materials to the Office of Shareholder Responsibility before or after the hearing.
- Presentations may be followed by a brief period during which Committee members may ask questions of the speakers to elicit additional information or clarify statements made.
Those who wish to speak during the hearing are asked to forward to the Office of Shareholder Responsibility (email@example.com) an e-mail message specifying his or her University affiliation, if any, and the specific topic(s) that will be addressed, no later than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 11.
The Advisory Committee on Socially Responsible Investing was established in March 2000 to deliberate upon issues of corporate social responsibility confronting the University as an investor and to advise the University Trustees. The committee comprises students, faculty and alumni representatives as well as two non-voting members from the administration. The final decisions on these matters rest with the University Trustees.
A listing of the public equity holdings in the University's endowment as of June 30, 2003, and the Advisory Committee's 2002-2003 Annual Report are available to students, faculty, alumni and staff in Room 401 Interchurch Center (475 Riverside Drive).