Columbia University has announced the formation of its Student Advisory Committee for Campus Planning and set the committee's first meeting for the end of February. Provost Alan Brinkley will chair the committee, and other senior university officials will attend the meetings.
The creation of the Student Advisory Committee is part of Columbia's collaborative process as the University moves forward with its proposed expansion. The Student Advisory Committee will act much like the Faculty Advisory Committee, by supplying input and feedback as plans for expansion continue to develop. This will be a consultative relationship with senior administrators to discuss issues and ideas.
"We think it's extremely important for our students to have the opportunity to present their views on this issue, which is important to the University," said Provost Brinkley.
Twenty-three students will serve on this newly formed committee of undergraduate and graduate students. Seven members are Columbia College students and three are SEAS students. Each graduate school on the Morningside Heights and Washington Heights campuses also has one student representative on the committee.
Students were nominated in a variety of ways. Some deans worked with their staff to select a student; others nominated the elected leader of the student council or similar entity. In addition, students were nominated by the Student Affairs Office for Columbia College , the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science and Chaplain Jewelnel Davis, the director of Earl Hall.
Other committees that are contributing to the planning process are the Community Advisory Committee, which is facilitating an ongoing dialogue with the community about its concerns and interests, and the Faculty Advisory Committee, which is addressing Columbia's academic and research needs.
The following students are members of the Student Advisory Committee:
- Eduard Ghanem-Navarro, Graduate School Architecture Planning and Preservation
- Mary Elizabeth Peters, School of the Arts
- James Schmid, School of Business
- Montse Ferrer, Columbia College
- Reginald Gossett, Columbia College
- Charlotte Jacobs, Columbia College
- Frances Kreimer, Columbia College
- Andrew Lehwohl, Columbia College
- Sarah Smick, Columbia College
- Mikos Vasarhelyi, Columbia College
- Andrea Smith, School of Dental and Oral Surgery
- Bridget Potter, School of General Studies
- Kai Ho, Graduate School of Arts & Sciences
- Chris Anderson, Graduate School of Journalism
- Tonissa Chaney, School of Law
- Karen Geer, School of Nursing
- Jonathan Amiel, College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Moriah McGrath, School of Public Health
- Hector Raul Chavez, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science
- Judy Choi, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science
- Vijay Sundaram, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science
- Jeffrey Levine, School of Intern ational and Public Affairs
- Teresa Willis, School of Social Work