Inge D. Halpert, German Professor Emerita, died on July 30 in New York City after a battle with lymphoma. She was 77.
Born in 1926 in Berlin, Halpert moved to Vienna , where she grew up under the Nazi occupation. In July 1941, a few months before the first transports carried Jews to the death camps in Poland, Halpert immigrated to the United States.
She graduated from Hunter College in 1948 and married Harry Halpert (deceased 1999). She received her M.A. and Ph.D. in German from Columbia's Graduate Faculties in 1950 and 1957, respectively.
In 1950 she began teaching at the School of General Studies. In 1973 Halpert was named full professor, and in 1979 she became the chair of the German department, where she is credited with reviving the struggling department. During this time, she published several articles, book reviews and text books.
From 1984 to 1996 Halpert also served as the executive editor of The Germanic Review, the scholarly publication founded and directed by the department since 1926.
Upon her retirement in 1992, Halpert became very active in Columbia Community Services, the organization that supports community programs in the surrounding neighborhood.
She is survived by her son, Stephen; her daughter, Karen; and three grandchildren.
The Inge Halpert Memorial Fellowship Fund has been established for undergraduate study in German (contributions should go to Columbia University, Inge Halpert Memorial Fellowship Fund" c/o Allison Searson, Columbia University, University Development and Alumni Relations, Mail Code 7722, 475 Riverside Drive, Suite 964, New York, N.Y. 10115).