CU Home Help
 Academic Programs
 Medical Center
 Events Calendar
 Prospective Students
 Faculty & Staff
 About Columbia
 A–Z Index
 E-mail & Computing

Columbia News
Search Columbia News
Advanced Search
View All News | News Archive | Video Archive | Photo Gallery | Public Affairs Office

How to File a Grievance as an Undergraduate at the School of General Studies

Students of the School of General Studies who wish to register a complaint about professional misconduct of faculty should utilize the following procedures to ensure that their concerns are addressed in an appropriate manner.

  1. A student should speak first with his or her General Studies advisor or the dean of students, who will help the student determine how best to address the matter. While advisors within the Office of the Dean of Students counsel students on appropriate avenues for addressing or resolving complaints, and often can help to facilitate a resolution, students should understand that advisors are not in a position to arbitrate disputes.
  2. Depending on the nature of the complaint, a student may be counseled to discuss the matter with the instructor directly, with the director of undergraduate studies or chair of a given department or program. Grievances related to faculty members outside Arts and Sciences will be referred to the appropriate division or school within the University.
  3. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of these informal procedures at the General Studies level, or believes that a direct complaint to the Office of the Vice President for Arts and Sciences is more appropriate for the filing of an initial complaint, the student may utilize formal grievance procedures available to them at any time by submitting a grievance in writing following the process described at

Time frame: Students should raise any concerns no later than 30 days after the end of the semester in which the alleged misconduct took place. The School will make every effort to consider and address the student's complaint quickly, ordinarily within 30 days.

University Ombuds Office: The Ombuds Office is an additional and alternative confidential resource available to students to advise them on various avenues of redress and can mediate a dispute, if both parties agree. Ombuds officers, however, do not have authority to adjudicate any complaint.

University Ombuds Office: If a student wishes complete confidentiality, he or she can continue to bring concerns to the ombuds officer, an independent resource for conflict resolution at the University. Students should be aware that the ombuds officer has no authority to adjudicate a complaint but is simply a confidential resource to advise on various avenues of redress and to mediate disputes at the request of both parties. This office cannot report specific complaints to a school, department chair or faculty member without the student's agreement to waive confidentiality.

Additional Information and Feedback: For more detailed information on the School of General Studies grievance policies, please visit

# # #

For information about filing a grievance as an undergraduate at Columbia College , please click here.



Published: Apr 11, 2005
Last modified: Apr 11, 2005

Tell your friend about this story