June 24, 2008
Columbia Climate Scientist James Hansen
Warns World Nearing Climate Change Tipping Point
Two decades after his first testimony before Congress alerting them to the catastrophic consequences of human-caused climate change, James Hansen, head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies at Columbia University, urged immediate action to fight global warming.
In his statement, Hansen said the window of opportunity for effective action is rapidly closing. Without an effective government-led response, the world is in danger of “passing tipping points that lead to disastrous climate changes.”
Please read Hansen’s full statement “Global Warming Twenty Years Later: Tipping Points Near” (pdf).
- Are Big Oil and Big Coal Climate Criminals?, The New York Times, June 23
- Years Later, Climatologist Renews His Call for Action, The New York Times, June 23
- NASA Warming Scientist: 'This is the Last Chance', The Associated Press, June 23
- Turning Up the Heat on Climate Issue, The Washington Post, June 23
- US Scientist Urges Carbon Tax to Help Climate, The Guardian (London), June 23
- Q & A: Professor James Hansen, Columbia News, Jan. 24