Version 1.18, February 2006
- Any request to send a broadcast email message to students,
faculty and/or staff in more than one school or administrative
unit must be approved by the Deans or Senior Administrators
of all the affected units; or the Provost
or Senior Executive Vice President for Administration; or authorized
by a resolution of the University Senate.
Where the members of affiliated institutions are to
be included, the President, Provost, or other authorized
official of each institution must approve the inclusion
of its members in the mailing.
- After the message is authorized, the sender must contact the appropriate office:
- For mailings to Columbia students.
Call or email Student Information Systems (SIS) at
212-854-2989 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request list setup.
- For mailings to Columbia faculty or staff.
Call or email Human Resources at 212-870-3106 or email@example.com.
- For combined mailings to Columbia students, faculty,
Call the Manager of CUIT Email Systems
at 212-854-3538 or 212-854-1919.
- For mailings including members of other institutions.
Access to lists and sending messages must be arranged
with the appropriate offices at those institutions.
- The timing of the message must be approved by the Manager of CUIT Email Systems or a
representative, to ensure
that it will not disrupt the email system. Normally,
delivery will be scheduled to begin after 8:00 PM. Call 212-854-1919 for assistance.
The sender may also request, from the postmaster (firstname.lastname@example.org), a
special shared email file for any responses to the mailing. See the CUIT Shared Mail page for instructions.
- The sender of the message will be given authorization
to use the list only for the approved message.
- The headers of the message or the mailing list must
include a Reply-to: with an individual, group, or file
address where replies will be received and responded to
as appropriate. This need not be the sender. As noted
above, reply mailboxes can be requested from email@example.com.
Note that the mailing lists are set up so that individual
recipients cannot reply to the lists or send messages
The Reply-to: address should also be mentioned in the
text of the message and a telephone number and office
address for other inquiries should also be given.
- The message body must be in plain text and the lines
must be less than 80 characters in length, 65 character
lines are recommended.
- The inclusion of attachments in broadcast messages is
not allowed because of the possibility of spreading a
virus and possible incompatibility with a recipient's
- Except in emergencies, five working days notice is required
for any such mailing. In any case, several hours may be
required to set up such a mailing, and the message is
sent in batches over another several hours so as not to
compromise normal email delivery.