CU Home
Students studying in library
Student Information
Printed Version
Page Links
Transfer Credit


New Postbac students must obtain program approval and telephone
/online registration materials in person from the Continuing
Education office on the second floor of Lewisohn during the
registration periods indicated on the Calendar. Students should bring
their completed registration forms (including course-approval
signatures), with them. Approval or signature from the program
advisor is NOT REQUIRED, but it is advantageous to review your
courses with him or her, either in person or via email, to ensure that
you are proceeding properly. Continuing Postbac students can
now pre-register for courses at the same time as Columbia College
undergraduates. For questions about registration by phone or your
PIN number for registration, contact the Continuing Education office
directly or look at the website.

Transfer Credit

It is possible to transfer up to 3 courses (9 points) from your undergraduate institution. The course must meet the following criteria for approval:
  • A grade of B- or better
  • Course taken within the past 5 years
  • Comparable Columbia course
  • Approval by program advisor


  • Many of you are moving to the Columbia University area and will be in need of housing. Unfortunately, Postbac students do not qualify for On-Campus Housing or University Apartment Housing. You will have access to the Off-Campus Housing Registry. Good apartments are also often acquired through 'word-of-mouth' or through postings around campus (Broadway @ 116th also seems to have a lot of signs).


  • All Postbac students are assigned an identification code called a “uni” (consisting of the student’s initials and a random number). You will need your uni and/or the associated Columbia e-mail address to access certain electronic applications at Columbia like the Science Direct database of journal articles. Many courses also use Courseworks, an online course web-site that can include everything from a course syllabus to assignments to your current grades.  You will need your uni to access Courseworks and your Columbia e-mail address will be used by professors and TAs sending course related information.


Last modified: Jun 16, 2011 11:31:08 AM EDT