Lisa Cohen. Record Photo by Joe Pineiro.|
|VOL. 23, NO. 5||OCTOBER 3, 1997|
- Three years ago Columbia Business School instituted an annual award for a faculty member who has demonstrated extraordinary commitment to his or her teaching and who has performed superbly in teaching a core course. This year's recipients are Donald C. Hambrick, the Samuel Bronfman Professor of Democratic Business Enterprise and chair of the Management of Organizations Division at the Business School, and Dennis Caplan, assistant professor in the Accounting, Business Law and Taxation Division at the Business School. The award, presented at the new faculty reception on Sept. 9, consists of a plaque and a $3,000 check.
- Rabbi Jennie Rosenn has been named associate Jewish chaplain at Columbia, replacing Rabbi Susan Oren, who left the University this summer to further her rabbinical career elsewhere. It is her first full-time position since her ordination last spring as a reform rabbi from Hebrew Union College.
- Lou Rossini, who was head coach of the Columbia men's varsity basketball team from 1950 to 1958, was inducted into the New York Basketball Hall of Fame at the New York Athletic Club last week.
- Lisa G. Cohen has been appointed director of the Office of Alumni Affairs at Barnard. She succeeds Irma Moore, BC'50, who is retiring after 24 years at Barnard. Cohen, BC'83, has been at Barnard since 1993, first as associate director of alumnae affairs and then as associate director for special gifts for The Barnard Campaign. She holds a master's in romance languages from Harvard, and spent eight years in marketing and public relations at Baume & Mercier, the Swiss watch company.
- New faculty additions at Teachers College include: Elaine V. Howes, who arrives from Michigan State to join the science education program; Lisa Petrides, assistant professor of management systems, from the Educational Testing Service and Stanford; Christine J. Yeh, assistant professor of psychology and education, from Stanford, and James E. Purpura, assistant professor of language and education, from U.C.L.A.