The following is the constitution for the Columbia University Jazz Band. It states the purpose of this organization and the procedures and laws that govern the group.
- The name of this organization shall be the Columbia University Jazz Band hereafter referred to as the jazz band.
- The Executive Board of the Jazz Band, hereafter referred to as the "Board," shall be made up of President, Vice-President, and Treasurer.
- The purpose of this organization is the perform jazz music for the Columbia community and to learn the jazz tradition through rehearsals and concerts.
- The Executive Board shall be responsible for setting up rehearsals and concerts and keeping track of the finances of the group.
- Membership to the jazz band is open to all students, staff, and faculty of Columbia University.
- Only members who are undergraduate students in Barnard College, Columbia College, or the School of Engineering and Applied Science may vote or hold office.
- The privileges and responsibilities of membership include attendance and promptness to rehearsals and concerts.
- Membership may be revoked by a vote by the Executive Board due to excessive tardiness or an abuse of the Jazz Band's property.
- Meetings are held once a week, and meetings are called by the Executive board.
- Policy decisions are made by the Executive Board. Any member may suggest a vote on any issue upon which the majority of group votes will decide an issue.
- The organization shall have the following officers: President, Vice-President, and Treasurer who will be elected by the members of the group.
- The duties of these officers shall be to organize rehearsals and set up concerts. The Treasurer will be responsible for the finances of the organization.
- Each officer will hold office for one academic but can continue to hold office throughout his/her undergraduate education if elected by group members.
- Elections for appointing or removing oficers are held at the end of each academic year, and election sprivileges are open to all undergraduate members.
- The members of the Board may be impeached and removed by the membership through a majority vote. Impeachment may result from lack of responsibility or an abuse of the Jazz Band's property.
- In the event of a mid-term vacancy of an elected officer, the membership will elect a replacement officer for the rest of the academic year.
- By-laws of the organization shall be established and altered by membership vote.
- By-laws of the Board shall be established and altered by membership vote.
- Amendments to the constitution may be suggested by any member of the organization, and a two-thirds vote is required to adopt an amendment.
- This constitution shall be established by a vote of three-fourths majority of the membership of the organization.
Back to Groups