Columbia University Science Honors Program
2018-2019 Academic Year
The Columbia University Science Honors Program (SHP) is a highly selective
program for students who have a strong interest in science and
mathematics. Classes are held at Columbia from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM on
Saturdays throughout the academic year. Applicants for the 2018-2019
school year must now be in the eleventh, tenth, or ninth grade and must
apply online. The program is available only to students who attend high
schools in New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut and who live within a
75-mile radius of the Columbia campus.
- A completed online application, including a report of high school
grades and an essay describing one's interest and background in science and
- An official high school transcript, to be mailed directly to the SHP
by the student's high school.
- An online letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor,
- A $30 non-refundable fee to cover the costs of application processing
and test administration.
As part of the application process, there will also be a 3-hour
entrance examination given at Columbia University. There are two
scheduled Saturday dates for the entrance examination in the spring of
2018: April 7 and April 21. Students will be asked to indicate their
preferred examination date; however, the SHP cannot guarantee that a
student will receive his/her first choice. The examination will be
from 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM. The test will contain questions in
mathematics and science. Students are expected to have a background
in algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and probability, together with
some knowledge of elementary science subjects. No special studying or
review is needed for the examination.
The deadline for SHP receipt of the completed online application is 11:59
PM on March 1, 2018. The $30 fee payment, whether by credit
card or check, must also be received by the SHP by March 1, 2018.
No applications will be accepted after this date.
Mailed official transcripts and online letters of recommendation must be
received by the SHP no later than March 15, 2018.
The SHP online application for the 2018-2019 academic year will open
during the first week of January.
- Deadline for completed application and fee payment: March 1, 2018.
- Personal test admission ticket available online: March 15, 2018.
- Deadline for SHP's receipt of mailed official transcripts and
online recommendations: March 15, 2018.
- Entrance examination dates: Either April 7, 2018 or April 21, 2018.
- Notification of admission decisions: available by June 20, 2018.