Degree Requirements

Requirements for the Ph.D. in Theatre are as follows; please also consult the English Department requirements for M.A., M.Phil. and Ph.D. here , as these requirements describe the year-by year timetable in very useful detail.

Students are expected to take at least four courses per year on drama, theatre, and performance in which they write long final essays; these courses may be at either the 4000- or 6000-level, excluding the MA essay. Students should take at least 2, and preferably four 6000-level seminar courses per year.

First Year/M.A. Degree

Coursework: In the first year (to fulfill the requirements for the M.A. degree), students must take eight (8) courses and register for two Residence Units:

Second and Third Year/M.Phil. Degree

Successful completion of the M. A. requirements and approval by the Co-Chairs are both conditions for entry into candidacy for the M. Phil. degree.

Coursework: In the second year (as part of the requirements for the M.Phil. degree), students must take eight (8) courses and register for an additional two Residence Units:

  1. Teaching Writing (G6913y), spring term (for R credit); and
  2. Seven additional courses, keeping the following in mind:
    1. Courses may be taken in any department, with the approval of one of the Co-Chairs, though students are strongly encouraged to take courses from Theatre doctoral program faculty.
    2. At least two of the seven must be 6000-level seminars or the equivalent, though students are encouraged to take four 6000-level seminars per year where appropriate courses are available.  (With the instructor's permission, some 4000-level courses may be taken for 6000-level seminar credit.)
    3. No more than two of the seven may be workshop courses (directing, dramaturgy, playwriting) offered through the School of the Arts.
    4. No more than two of the seven may be taken through the Inter-University Doctoral Consortium (IUDC) (must be approved by one of the Co-Chairs).
    5. No more than two of the seven may be a course (3000- or 4000-level) in which the student is serving as TA (must be approved by one of the Co-Chairs).  Students taking this option should register for one of the following for R credit (depending on whether the course has sections or not):
      1. ENGL G6910 "Teaching Tutorial": For courses in which TAs lead a section of at least 10 students weekly.  Students must: a) provide a record of regular attendance by students; 2)  provide a very brief (one-page) account of what issues they covered in sections; 3) submit a signed form from the professor attesting that they attended lectures.
      2. ENTA G8999 "Independent Study": For courses in which TAs do not lead a section.  Professors will assign writing in line with assignments for other "R" credit courses.
    6. All courses must be graded except Teaching Writing (G6913y) and courses in which the student is serving as TA.
    7. Exceptionally, the Co-Chairs may approve the award of up to two transfer credits in the second year of study to students who have completed graduate-level coursework in another graduate degree program.  Transfer credit would be considered only when a student did not take option "e" above, counting TA courses toward the degree.